Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Help Needed!

Hi, as far as I can tell Birmingham haven't offered any EYFS training, if they have they certainly kept it well hidden! As a result I'm starting to panic a bit. I've got the EYFS pack and read it, and I'm sure I need to change my planning as a result (I'm Reception and we don't have a nursery). My Head says not to change anything I'm doing, but I know that my class is much too adult led, and not nearly enough CI, plus topics are very adult directed. Does anyone have any examples of planning formats they could share with me, especially ones recommended by other LEA's that I could share with my Head? Any help would be gratefully received..... Thanks

Hi loon- isn't it blooming frustrating that brum haven't provided any training other than the briefing sessions? I'm going on the Orisis EYFS training tomorrow at the Jury's Inn. It's cost quite a bit but like you began to panic when I realised that brum would not be offering anything before September.

Have you looked at the St Thomas Centre training booklet- there are a few courses in there but nothing substantial for us- the usual observation type things which we are fine with- it's the planning that we need support with.

We ahve changed headings and wording a little on our formats e.g instead of Stepping Stones or ELG (when not appropriate) we put Development Matters and the months etc.

We are also looking at adding the next steps but like so many people how can you do this in a Reception class with 30 possible different lines of enquiry????

hi We are a private nursery attached to a primary school and the foundation stage class and us share a unit. We have had 2 days training on EYFS and nursery staff have also attended Planning, observation and assessment meetings. We have been trialling the EYFS since EAster and have came across some problems within the planning. We now feel that the last set of plans, that include childrens next steps, chances for observations, ensuring balance and indoor and outdoor planning is much better than what we have used as it ties it all together. I can attach plans if you want

Alison

My friend has been on some training. From what I could make out all it covered was how to use the CD rom.

Birmingham are certainly behind some other authorities.

I'll ask her tomorrow where she went and with who and exactly what was covered and post back.

Hi Alison, I'd be interested in having a look at your planning format if you don't mind attaching a copy. Thanks very much.

Hi we are in suffolk and are lucky to have had our training. I am FS coordinator so i am sorting out planning for nursery and reception. Our plans recomended by suffolk looks as follows -

Long term plans

Jan Feb Mar April

Police Dentist Mothers Easter

visit visit day

Planting seeds

Until you have put in every month and overview of what you do every year.

You then take each area of learning say CLL then say what your setting will do for Personal relationships, enabling environments and learning and development (use the statements in your guidance book before the stages to help you)

Medium term plans

again months of the year but fill these in as you go. Childrens interests (which children) and topics you will be covering.

Weekly plans

On adult led activities show- Development matters statements, activity, ELG, assessment, main children activity is for, area of learning.

On environment plans show in different colours activities following childrens interests, activities children have changed over the week in the classroom and adult initiated activities to cover all six areas. It is only my adult initiated activities that carry a development matters statement at the mo but this may change.

hope this helps

any chance of putting them on the site so we can download.

Helen

Hi we are in suffolk and are lucky to have had our training. I am FS coordinator so i am sorting out planning for nursery and reception. Our plans recomended by suffolk looks as follows -

Long term plans

Jan Feb Mar April

visit visit day

Planting seeds

You then take each area of learning say CLL then say what your setting will do for Personal relationships, enabling environments and learning and development (use the statements in your guidance book before the stages to help you)

Medium term plans

again months of the year but fill these in as you go. Childrens interests (which children) and topics you will be covering.

Weekly plans

On adult led activities show- Development matters statements, activity, ELG, assessment, main children activity is for, area of learning.

On environment plans show in different colours activities following childrens interests, activities children have changed over the week in the classroom and adult initiated activities to cover all six areas. It is only my adult initiated activities that carry a development matters statement at the mo but this may change.

hope this helps

Hi, as far as I can tell Birmingham haven't offered any EYFS training, if they have they certainly kept it well hidden! As a result I'm starting to panic a bit. I've got the EYFS pack and read it, and I'm sure I need to change my planning as a result (I'm Reception and we don't have a nursery). My Head says not to change anything I'm doing, but I know that my class is much too adult led, and not nearly enough CI, plus topics are very adult directed. Does anyone have any examples of planning formats they could share with me, especially ones recommended by other LEA's that I could share with my Head? Any help would be gratefully received..... Thanks

Hi

I am an early years advisory teacher and it sounds like your LA is a bit behind! The thing to remember is 80/20 split. 80% of what the children do should be directed by the and 20% should be adult led-this is something teachers are going to have to get their heads around. When you are gathering evidence for the FSP this should also be reflected ie 80% of your evidence should be from child initiated activities and 20% should be from adult led activities. If I was you I would google other authorities and see if there is any advice on their websites and google 'EYFS powerpoint presentations' - you never know what you might find! Hope this is of some help.

Good luck

Guest heleng

Long term plans

Jan Feb Mar April

visit visit day

Planting seeds

Medium term plans

Weekly plans

hope this helps

I am also in Suffolk, FS leader and planning for Reception and Nursey and have had some training but haven't been shown any planning formats. Could you attach a sample please?

I'm in Norfolk and was told by my EYAT that the planning and learning story pack is still being developed and will possibly be ready in September....how useful is that!! she then very cheerfully told me that due to all the changes we've had we could expect to be inspected very early in September

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)