Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk Assessment

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone can help?

I am completing risk assessments for the Nursery I work for. I have completed a really helpfull course recently, got a good risk assessment sheet to complete.

Have spent this weekend typing up several sheets, manual handling, slips, trips and falls etc. Now hit a blank.....

Should i be completing risk assessments for everything.... such as food, activities, medication etc.?

The setting has no previous forms for me to view to help...

So I hope someone could give me some advise please...

Many Thanks

O40

I guess technically speaking you should risk assess all aspects of the setting - so in the major risk assessment form there should be sections for the things you mention.

Depending on how detailed your planning is, the activities will be risk assessed and methods of reducing the hazard identified as part of the adult's role. There was a thread a while back about risk assesing new activities - might be worth a forum search.

Your procedures for providing snack should cover the risks associated with food allergies and the same for medicines and their administration. Its debatable whether you'd need a separate risk assesment form for these - it may be that provided they are mentioned in the overall setting risk assessment and your policies/procedures are clear, there might not be any need to have a separate assessment for these areas, as such.

What does your group's policy say about risk assessment in terms of how often it is done, when and by whom? Some groups do a major risk assessment of the whole setting periodically, with smaller assesments made during each session (such as checking the perimeter of the outdoor area is safe, and that debris is removed from sand pits etc before children access them).

Not sure if that helps at all..

Maz

Thanks Maz,

Yes that does help.

I took on the role of H&S Officer at the Nursery when I joined last Sept

Having No experience in this area I completed 2 courses just recently.

As I said there are no Risk Assessments for me to view so im starting from scratch.

I devised a daily check list when i started at the Nursery, so this is completed each day

checking for things like spillages, emergency exits clear, broken equipment, outside area etc.

But now im onto the Risk Assessments, i understand these will be completed each year and reviewed before if needed.

Im just wanting to know how far i need to go really....

Thanks

O40

Thanks Maz,

Yes that does help.

I took on the role of H&S Officer at the Nursery when I joined last Sept

Having No experience in this area I completed 2 couses just recently.

As I said there are no Risk Assessments for me to view so im starting from scratch.

I devised a daily check list when i started at the Nursery, so this is completed each day

checking for things like spillages, emergency exits clear, broken equipment, outside area etc.

But now im onto the Risk Assessments, i understand these will be completed each year and reviewed before if needed.

Im just wanting to know how far i need to go really....

Thanks

O40

Sounds like our group, O40 - although yearly risk assessments sound a long time apart don't they? So long as you analyse your accident book well and identify any areas of the setting causing concern (and review the risk assessment relating to these areas to make sure the judgements you made are still valid) I guess you'll be on top of it.

You may also require individual childrens or adults 'risk' assessments, ie: any disabilities, health, pregnancy etc

Peggy

There are some specific legal requirements guidance around risk assessment in EYFS for you to refer to aswell

Paula x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)