Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Leicester City Child Progress Tracker

My officer in charge and deputy have just come back from a meeting at the foundation stage base, the invitation we received had the EYFS symbol on it and said all settings are expected to use the tracker from sept 08.

We all thought this was to help with obseving and assessing the children within the EYFS framework, after going to the meeting we now find we've got to do this on top of everything else and there no choice.

Every child has to have a copy of the tracker in their records and we're expected to produce one for each child. The document is 17 pages long and we have 70 children on roll at present a total of 1190 pages!

We are only a small nursery and this will not only take up even more staff time its going to cost a fortune in copying.

Sorry to sound off, but we're all so cross about this as if we don't have enough to do!

I'm not in your area but I sympathise. Last year our LA introduced a transition document for all PVI settings to use to send onto maintained settings. It was brought in with three weeks of the year to go and we have to print and produce it all ourselves too. I understand the point of it in a way but they don't seem to want to know what we already do or care about how much it will cost us in time and money.

• 2 months later...
My officer in charge and deputy have just come back from a meeting at the foundation stage base, the invitation we received had the EYFS symbol on it and said all settings are expected to use the tracker from sept 08.

We all thought this was to help with obseving and assessing the children within the EYFS framework, after going to the meeting we now find we've got to do this on top of everything else and there no choice.

Every child has to have a copy of the tracker in their records and we're expected to produce one for each child. The document is 17 pages long and we have 70 children on roll at present a total of 1190 pages!

We are only a small nursery and this will not only take up even more staff time its going to cost a fortune in copying.

Sorry to sound off, but we're all so cross about this as if we don't have enough to do!

xD

Hi...

I went on the Tracker hour as well. Not that impressed. It doesnt seem very user friendly at all. Parents of the children dont really understand it either.

The disk didnt seem to work at all, and then when managed to sort it out, I find that I cannot alter the mistakes that are already on it.

We have 33 children in our playgroup setting which means copying or printing of some 566 pages. As our children come at the age of 3, it seems pointless to me to have the sheets with 0 - 20 months on it. To save money/paper/time, I would like to get rid of these sections.

It hasnt really been explained clearly how to use the tracker apart from sticking some red, black dots on various phases.

I would like to hear from anyone in Leicester City (is the County having to do this?, as we have children who come in from the County to Playgroup, and will probably be going to County primary schools).

Any ideas anyone??? :o

I am under the impression that its only for Leicester City Council EYFS, as County are doing something else! It seems to be a very complicated tick list. The Stepping Stones that our setting used, was easy to follow and showed the ELGs. This works alongside the EYFS.

Have tried to see how it will work, as need to brief other staff on it, but really not sure how to start it! The meeting was at the end of term and only lasted an hour.

All settings in Leicester City should have started using it on 1.9.08, I am trying to get it printed off, but there are mistakes on the original disc, which I cannot open to rectifiy.

As a group we are continuing with our own observations, assessments and tracking, and I will probably have to do a BIG transfer of our obs on to these sheets as and when we all understand them.

Just seems extra work for us all.

Hi maj, Now my apologies if my geography is wrong but if Leicester City is in Leictershire, maybe your query would be better placed in the Leicestershire forum (spelling's as bad as geography :o )

you can find the county forum HERE

I personally think that if the system does not fit / work in with your setting you shouldn't have to do it. (just my opinion) If it is a requirement for NEG then I would argue the rationalle behind extensive paperwork and additional costs to impliment this method of assessment.

The EYFS documentation states paperwork should be reduced, not increased.

Peggy

Hi! I'm not in Leicester City either but am interested to know - does the tracker use the Development Matters statments from EYFS?

Edited by Wolfie