Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Eyfs

Hi all,

I am really worried about the implementation of the new EYFS in SEP 2008. I work in s a school where the learning is very formal, and always feel stuck in between a rock and a hard place. The early years team have been in school ( during moderation) and said that school is not operating in accordance with early years principles but the head teacher is upper key stage two trained and feels stronghly that the way the childrern are taught here is successful and is important for the children to continue their good attainemnt towards KS1 SATs.

The children get two afternoons a week where they get to do child centred/ play orienmtated learning around a topic e.g the vets but other thatn that it is all in the classroom. Therefore the only observations I am able to do are in these two afternoons. I am the only reception teacher and ther is no nursery so I feel a bit out on a limb .. has any one got any ideas???????

:o

Hi Claire

Oh dear - I feel for you!

What support are the Early Years team going to give the school to begin to 'operate in accordance with early years principles?' - they might well prove to be your best ally in helping you put some of your principles into operation in the school. What was your last Ofsted inspection like?

I'm not based in a school so I don't feel I can offer much in the way of advice or support.

Someone will be along shortly who will have soothing words of wisdom, I'm sure!

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Maybe you could do a presentation for the HT and Governors promoting the importance of learning through play and the changes in practise for the EYFS.

Also if you look at other schools OFSTED reports under the Foundation section it may give them ideas of what OFSTED will be looking for when they arrive, what schools in your LA are being picked up on and praised for and how you as a school can learn from their experiences.

There should be some inspection guidelines that you can look at and show your head what the Inspectors will be looking for. This may help.

Yes I have a TA.. but she is new to the role. She is lovely and we get on very well but I feel that she prefers the children to be in the classroom as there is a sense that trying to organise the child orentated afternoons is very physically demanding.

Guest tinkerbell

Claire have you been on the EYFS training?

Could you ask your early years advisors to come into school and help you?

Tinkerbellx

[Yes I have been on the EYFS training earlier this year., but it feels like I have got a mountain to climb and dont want to upset the apple cart.

Yes I have a TA.. but she is new to the role. She is lovely and we get on very well but I feel that she prefers the children to be in the classroom as there is a sense that trying to organise the child orentated afternoons is very physically demanding.

Yes, it is physically demanding, but once you get your head around that, it becomes a delight. How far are you trying to 'organise' them?? If you sit back and observe, the children may well do it for you!! And there's how you get your observations, as well!! (OK, a bit simplistic, but I hope you get my drift?)

Sue

Can you or the early years team suggest you and the head visit a school together thats is recommended as being 'Outstanding' by Ofsted to see whats going on in successful settings?

thank you all for the advise... I have taken on board all comments and will try to work out whch is the best way forward. will keep you all posted !

thanks again!

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)