Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Light Box

I have some spare cash to spend on new equipment and am thinking of purchasing a light box. I have seen some in use but do not want to make an expensive mistake. As I have to put away each day and have restrictive storage space it would have to be small and portable but large enough for a small group of children to use together.Any ideas and experience welcome.

I have a light box which I got from my local art shop, I use it for making resources, tracing pictures etc. is this what you mean by a light box? :)

Hi Bubblejack! I have a light table. Luckily it was given to me by our Early years Partnership as I could not have afforded one myself. The children really love using it, we have used coloured counters, natural objects and a see-through plastic sand tray. This last item is fantastic because you can put different coloured cellophane underneath the tray, put silver sand into the tray and then get the children to make patterns, write their names etc in the sand. As they do this the different colours shine through underneath. The children think it's wonderful! Hope this has helped.

Kaybee

They are sold by most of the educational suppliers. I can't find all my catalogues at the moment but I have seen them in Asco, Nes Arnold and SBS. The boxes are about £220 - £250. The accessories are quite expensive so I try and improvise where possible. If you get a sand box I would recommend using silver sand as normal play sand scratches the surface. Let me know if you decide to get one. Kaybee. :)

Kaybee thanks for the infomation I am going to buy one I just have to decide from where.I am moving premises during the holidays and this will be my reward (and the children's of course) for all the hard work that this will involve.

A suggestion:

Liaise with a local secondary school.

At GCSE level in technology, chidren have to design and make, with a purpose in mind. It reaps benefits all round.

I saw a lovely visual sensory "play centre" designed by a GCSE lad (which was then donated to a special needs unit - he had worked with the unit to finalise his design) .

The designer benefits from working with users, you benefit by getting the learner and his/her teachers inputting (talking to you about what you want) and you get the final product - (once the GCSE assessment is out of the way). This all happens with no cost to you (just your time) - the child/parents/school provide everything,

Diane

Thats a good idea dianne. My husband is very practical and has also offered to make me one.I don't know if I would be allowed to use a piece of handmade equipment now. When I met with the Ofsted inspector in my new building she asked if if the equipment I am planning to bring with me was good quality bought from a reputable company.(I felt like telling her that children can learn just as much from natural/recycled products )

I had a visit from the E.Y. co-ordinator the other day and she said I can borrow one from the toy library first.

• 7 months later...
They are sold by most of the educational suppliers. I can't find all my catalogues at the moment but I have seen them in Asco, Nes Arnold and SBS. The boxes are about £220 - £250. The accessories are quite expensive so I try and improvise where possible. If you get a sand box I would recommend using silver sand as normal play sand scratches the surface. Let me know if you decide to get one. Kaybee.  :)

12698[/snapback]

Hi i have been looking at your replay about light boxes as i have to plan for this area for the next half term and i noticed you talk about silver sand where do you get this from ????

I recently went on a Reggio Emilia course run by Linda Thornton and Pat Brunton it was excellent - they have a company that sells a light box which meets with the approval of the Reggio Foundation they start from £125 for a portable light box L700Xd440Xh165mm for more products and information here

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)