Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bike Helmets

Hi

I'm in a school and the idea has been raised that we shouldn't let children cycle or scooter without helmets. We have very few injuries (area's too small to get too much speed up) but it's to do with giving mixed messages about safety when they should be using helmets on the road. Do any of you expect children to wear helmets in your settings?

Guest Wolfie

It's a tricky one and I remember having the same dilemma as you!

In the end, I handed responsibility for the decision over to the parents in a way. I sent out a letter explaining that we didn't have the money or resources to buy helmets for every child at nursery but that I understood that some parents wanted their child to wear one, for consistency between home and nursery. I suggested that if they DID want their child to wear one, they could provide it, sign a form to say they wanted it worn and we would ensure that it was.

As it turned out, we had very few parents who provided one.

There was a thread about bike helmets here a little while ago - including a post from someone who made/sold them to pre-school groups, I think.

Might be worth a search...

An interesting dilemma: we take great care to make sure children are safe in all other areas yet we don't provide/ensure they wear crash hats. :o Logistical nightmare though: making sure they are correctly fitted each time, making sure they're replaced after every bang and where do you store them?

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)