Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baseline Assessment

hi everyone was just wondering how you assess the children when they first come in and how do involve the parents in this. hope you can help :o

Hello Chocolatedaisychain

I advocate an 'all about me booklet' which tells settings as much as is possible about the children, about to go to nursery or school. The information that can be included is endless, but all very important for each individual child and the parents.

The booklet could include information about sleep patterns, family members, general routeens and food likes and dislike to name but a few . . . the list could go on and on.

We do lots and lots of observations, lots of playing along side the children. No formal assessments. We fill in profiles at the end of half term. This year we have to snd off on entry data to our education authority.

Guest Wolfie

Hi Bethie - just being nosey...so if you don't do any formal assessments, what does your entry data consist of - is it data that the authority has designed or your own?

Hi Wolfie,

We have to record against all of the ELG's like we do at the end of the year. Head teachers have asked for there to be some kind of comparison for what our intake is like to other schools, so the LEA will collect data the first week after half term. We'll then be compared to other schools like we are at then end of the year!

The emphasis is very much on observing where the children are in the first half term, getting alongside them and playing.

Personally I'm not sure I agree with collect data that early on.

• 2 months later...

I went on a training course yesterday about the new EYFS tracker from target tracker. Course only really went over YR stuff but the bloke did say that it includes all the Development Matters statements. I don't know how it would work, but may be worth a look.

Is that the name of a company?

sounds like a company doesn't it!

Sorry to interupt with this - just joined!

How can I possibly give scale points to my new reception children over the next couple of weeks (as I have been asked to do). I thought the whole point of using the eyfs profile was that it could be used after collating a years worth of observations from mainly child initiated activities.

All help greatly appreciated!! :o

I've 'made up' an entry to nursery assessment which I'm trialling this term - it's based on the Mary Sheridan child development book - used alongside observations & photos - mainly want to show Ofsted & management where the children come in at. It's got stuff about speech, toileting, emotional wellbeing etc. Not too onerous to fill in but will tell me at a glance where my cohort are at. I'll let you know how it goes. It's not aiming to show value added or anything like that - just giving me a bit of data x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)