Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Have To Laugh Or Will Scream

parent complained again today but to manager this time

basically she is not happy that there seems to be no structure and not enough sitting down and worried that her 3 year old does nothing but role play and that his reading book isnt changed often enough.

luckily manager knew what to say about the room and discussed how the eyfs is about child initiated and we wouldngt take him away from something he enjoyed to do reading or to encourage him to do something else, but parent was adament she wanted him to be encouraged to do more the role play.

fair enough they need a balanced curriculum but it is not like he does nothing else, i have evidence in his learning journey which supports this.

so frustrating that they dont trust us professionals to do our job, worst part is she is a teaching assistant so think she knows better, and frustrating that she doesnt come and speak to me first!!!!!!!!!!1

got to laugh though or head will explode!!!!

Edited by Guest

Poor you what an end to the week.

Why do some people always think they know better?

Poor child is only three -he s got years to learn to read - he ll be sick before he even gets to school

Why cant children be allowed to be children and play

-I know we analyse what they do and what they re learning etc and i m sure you re providing lots of learning opportunities for the children in your setting .But if he s happy and engrossed in an activity then he ll be learning .I say stick to your guns and leave him be !!

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing !!!

A good laugh is definitly needed sometimes, although I worry its more hysteria than real laughter!

Next time she complains, ask her advice. Ask her how she has interpreted the EYFS, has she any views on the example planning formats, how have the teachers in her school developed partnerships with local pre-schools, will many changes need to take place at her school to enable the EYFS to fully develop in line with the government aims to have more child initiated learning.

If she doesnt know any of it lend her your EYFS pack for the weekend.

A good laugh is definitly needed sometimes, although I worry its more hysteria than real laughter!

Next time she complains, ask her advice. Ask her how she has interpreted the EYFS, has she any views on the example planning formats, how have the teachers in her school developed partnerships with local pre-schools, will many changes need to take place at her school to enable the EYFS to fully develop in line with the government aims to have more child initiated learning.

If she doesnt know any of it lend her your EYFS pack for the weekend.

it is defo hysteria, im sick of this parent already ive only been there 2 months.

i would love to throw all that at her and i would gladly speak with her but she never comes to me, i guess she feels intimidated or knows that i know what im doing and talking about so doesnt want to question me.

i would love to throw all that at her and i would gladly speak with her but she never comes to me, i guess she feels intimidated or knows that i know what im doing and talking about so doesnt want to question me.

Then maybe now is the time to approach her (in a non-threatening way, obviously :o ) and ask to speak to her about her concerns. Your manager should offer to set up a meeting anyway, as part of the complaint handling process. My feeling is that if this parents concerns aren't addressed then they will never go away: she can just keep moaning and eventually it will chip away at your confidence and self esteem.

Unless of course you don't throttle her first!

Good luck - you know in your heart you're doing a good job for the best interests of the child. Let's hope you can help this parent understand where you're coming from and can begin to work together rather than having this conflict all the time.

Maz