Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Naming Display Work

Hi all

a quick question - when you display childrens work on the wall do you put the name with it. We always have but i have recently visited quite a few other settings and have noticed that most if them dont name the work. Was wondering if i had missed something are we not meant to??

We always put names on as the children often want to show their parents/carers their work and this way they can see exactly what their child did. If the whole group work together on something we put something like "By the ..... Children". Our older children love pointing out their own work too, and showing they recognise their own names on it.

could it depend on the setting.. we are hall based and we leave work on walls but other people use the hall, so we ask parents if they are happy with us having names on the wall.. most are but in some cases we are asked not to for a wide range of reasons.

A lot of the time though we encourage the child to add their mark and display it , the name will be on the back if we cannot recognise a 'signature'

Inge

I would always say it is GOOD PRACTICE to name work, self-esteem etc. So long as you don't put family names or any obvious recognition factor in a communal building there shouldn't really be a problem.

I would always say it is GOOD PRACTICE to name work, self-esteem etc. So long as you don't put family names or any obvious recognition factor in a communal building there shouldn't really be a problem.

Normally I would agree but from a personal viewpoint, the names of children particularly ours at the moment are very individual, of a wide ethnic mix in a small ethnic community and could identify a child.. add into that the other hall user groups of support groups for abuse of substance in some form or another we and many parents feel safer not to display names in some cases. We never know who could walk in for a look during the support sessions.

Inge

I think it's good practice to put names on too although obviously Inge has particular issues which they feel take precedent. Sometimes you need to examine your own situation, discuss it with other staff members and come to a reasonable and satisfactory decision based on the facts. :o

Thanks for that, learnt something!

An observation : We have a very wide ethnic mix, with a wide mix of ethnic names within that - large city.

sorry sue was a bit vague wasnt it, the reason we dont name childrens work is

1. children are aware of which is their own work and dont need to have a name its all part of our view that we dont need to give unecessary praise and rewards

2. it is felt that it creates a none cometative environment

3. the joy is in process of doing (own sense of achievement) and not displaying, the acolade of seeing their peice of work alongside their name is not needed

there is more to it than this but its not about not valueing childrens endeavors its more about children doing tasks for themselves and valueing their own work

hard to explain

We name it, if we didn't I believe parents would be asking the child and then us who had done what, the children seem so proud when they see their parent/carer's pride in pointing out their work. We are in a village hall, but their are no surnames or photographs to identify the child, I can't see how it would breach any confidentiality areas...and it makes our hall look lovely and the whole community get to benefit from the expressions of the youngest members of society!

There is also plenty of praise for all children, I was unaware of the Montessori stance so thanks for that, done quite a lot on it at college not once was that highlighted, guess why this forum is good for exchanging information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i work in nursery/reception class. When the children are doing their work if they are capable of writing their own name then i ask them to. Otherwise I get the child to overwrite their name on their work. Not only does the child feel valued but parents can see at a glance if their childs work is displayed. Hope this helps 0258 Robinson x :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)