Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Predictions

Hello

I was wondering if any of you have had to predict what levels your reception children will be at the end of y1 and also y2.

I was assuming that if a child had achieved 9 on FSP then a level 3 was imminent at the end of y2, where would they be at the end of y1? About a 2b?

Would appreciate anyone input on this if they have already had experience of it.

Is it better to cautious and under predict?

Here's to end of term!!

Hi aliroberts

Predicting NC levels from the FSP results sounds very dangerous to me :o. Do you really have to do this? Personally, I would not want to predict at all without access to a crystal ball! xD I don't think assumptions should be made at all - so many things can happen over the next two years for a child. Here's an example, My own child achieved 9 for one of the mathematical development sections last year. I doubt very highly he'll be a level 3 at the end of Year 2- he has special needs!! Mind you, I could be underestimating his abliltiy and future achievement - so I'm being too cautious? - I find it better to have a surprise when he's achieved something rather than a disappointment when he hasn't. So if you have to predict NC levels then I would be cautious - but that's only my opinion.

mousebat

HI Ali difficult one this and one I keep going on about!

Point 9 is actually in many scales already a 2c or 2b, so by end of year 2 that child should be a 4!

I believe there is a real danger of setting children and teachers up for failure.

I agree. There is no legal requirement to set KS1 predictions from the FSP, so my advice would be 'don't'. I woukld check with you Head as to why you are being asked to do this.

I've been told that I have to give my reception children in my class (mixed R/1) P levels or NC levels if they are at an NC level. I feel very strongly that I should not have to as the P level are for SEN kids and not Foundation Stage. However the head wants it doing, I think mostly because of Ofsted the week before OCtober half term. I feel it's so wrong. Has anyone else been asked to do this? And what have they done about it?

I'm currently sat at home panicing about everything as I'm off sick- been up all night with the bug that is doing the rounds :o

Nichola, hope you feel better.

Is this the outgoing head?

If your children have scored between 4-8 then they are meeting ELGs and at about level 1 equivalent of NC. If they have not met ELGs then they must be w.

Although for FS I don't believe these sort of equivalence should be made, but you can use it is a basis of your predictions--so how about flat rate 2s with 1s and ws for any you have concerns about?

If the school doesnt like what you produce they will have to work with you to support and guide you in these predictions.

Why do we have to be so target driven, it takes away the enjoyment for child and teacher?! When will those on high recognise that happy children will learn and thrive?

I don't think that you as a recently qualified teacher should be given the responsability of making these sort of predictions. If they must be made they need to be made on the basis of informed experience or to be placed alongside a recognised assessment package that gives these sort of predictions. Its enough of a responsability in my opinion to make the judgements against the profile in the first place!

I've just done my predictions for where the children will be at the end of Year 1 - having put it off all week. I've probably aired on the side of caution - I only had to say level 1 or 2 - not 2a,b,c etc. I haven't put on P levels, but we have SEN or Target level 1 for those who might get level one given a push. It has been hard because I have some children who suddenly seem to have 'clicked' and I think they should make a spurt, but I don't want to put pressure on them, Year 1, Year 2 teachers if they don't maintain the thrust. :o As we keep saying, it's a shame we can't just celebrate the achievements of our children instead of constantly crunching figures.

Ah well! Have a great holiday everyone :D

Harricroft.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)