Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting Out In Nursery (school Based)

Hi there all

I am starting out in the Nursery within a school and am just wondering how people who have been there, done that are facing the new EYFS? Are there many changes? Where do I start? I have to do a meeting to all the new parents soon and it is a job in a new school so I am pretty nervous and any advice would be good. Any general advice re routines, setting up the classroom, induction, the EYFS curriculum, etc would be good.

Thanks to all who can help!

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would ask if you could spend some time in your school nursery to see how it is working now and if possible ask to look around other nurseries in the area for ideas you can borrow.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would ask if you could spend some time in your school nursery to see how it is working now and if possible ask to look around other nurseries in the area for ideas you can borrow.

Thanks Marion I have been in my present Nursery and have been to visit a couple of other settings. Was useful and have not had much to training on the EYFS though. Is there much change do you think?

Don't think your computer is behaving itself Marion!! xD

Hello Kamaymonk and welcome to the forum. :o

Hi there, thanks very much. Whas is life like in your Nursery then?

Hi and welcome to the forum

Sally

Hi Sally thanks. What does your Nursery look like? Do you have workshop areas or do you set out activities on table tops etc which change week by week?

A warm welcome from me too! :o

Hi Wolfie thanks. What have you talked to parents about re EYFS as initial meetings?

Hello kamaymonk, a warm welcome from me too. xD

Marion, dublinbay, mustangsally and wolfie, may not respond to your additional questions as they may not return to this thread having said their welcomes, just wanted to suggest this so you don't feel ignored. :o (although they may look in again)

I think the lack of advice is due to the broadness of the question.

First congratulations on your new job in Nursery :( second, it appears you have two queries, 1/ EYFS and 2/ parent meeting.

1/ EYFS - Everyone will interpret it in their own way as they reflect upon it's content in light of their own settings and children, how they have worked before and how they prioritise the changes as it comes into place in September. Thus a broad question and not easy to sum up. May I suggest you do a search and you will find many discussions on different aspects of the EYFS. Also there is lots of useful information in the resource section of the forum (left hand column), There are planning and observation formats etc. Routines, set ups, Induction etc are affected by individual circumstances but have been discussed so again type these in to a search. (happy reading)

2/ Parent meeting - consider what does the parent want to know, focus your chat on their perspective of their child, maybe introduce the principles of the EYFS, how it is implimented will be a continuous journey based on the individual childrens learning styles, interests, development needs. Maybe explain the child centrered approach and play based ethos, how this interprets itself in terms of expectations such as homework or not, how parents can become true partners with you the teacher and how they can support their children at home.

Hope this helps, good luck and have lots of fun come September.

If other specific queries, just ask. If you can't find what you're looking for ask again and we will try and provide links to previous discussions.

Peggy

Hello kamaymonk, a warm welcome from me too. xD

Marion, dublinbay, mustangsally and wolfie, may not respond to your additional questions as they may not return to this thread having said their welcomes, just wanted to suggest this so you don't feel ignored. :o (although they may look in again)

I think the lack of advice is due to the broadness of the question.

First congratulations on your new job in Nursery :( second, it appears you have two queries, 1/ EYFS and 2/ parent meeting.

1/ EYFS - Everyone will interpret it in their own way as they reflect upon it's content in light of their own settings and children, how they have worked before and how they prioritise the changes as it comes into place in September. Thus a broad question and not easy to sum up. May I suggest you do a search and you will find many discussions on different aspects of the EYFS. Also there is lots of useful information in the resource section of the forum (left hand column), There are planning and observation formats etc. Routines, set ups, Induction etc are affected by individual circumstances but have been discussed so again type these in to a search. (happy reading)

Hi Peggy thanks very much that was useful advice. I will have a look at teacher tv stuff and have good ol rummage on this site etc. I just panicing am sure it will all be fine!!!!! Am looking forward to it muchly.

2/ Parent meeting - consider what does the parent want to know, focus your chat on their perspective of their child, maybe introduce the principles of the EYFS, how it is implimented will be a continuous journey based on the individual childrens learning styles, interests, development needs. Maybe explain the child centrered approach and play based ethos, how this interprets itself in terms of expectations such as homework or not, how parents can become true partners with you the teacher and how they can support their children at home.

Hope this helps, good luck and have lots of fun come September.

If other specific queries, just ask. If you can't find what you're looking for ask again and we will try and provide links to previous discussions.

Peggy

Hi Peggy thanks very much that was useful advice. I will have a look at teacher tv stuff and have good ol rummage on this site etc. I just panicing am sure it will all be fine!!!!! Am looking forward to it muchly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)