Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Friction Between Pre School Team

Hi guys!

I am on my placement training to become an EYP. The Pre School manager has asked me if i would like to help her motivate and overcome the bad atomosphere within the team, it would be great experience for me and I could use it within my evidence folder, I have a few ideas but as I am only a full pathway student, with no management experience, I would love to hear some of your experiences and ideas of how to create a good bond between staff.

Thanks very much!

xxx

It is a shame that there is a bad atmosphere in what should be a happy place. Perhaps the supervisor could talk individually to the members of staff to try and discover the source of the disgruntlement...unless its her/him.

I've found in the past that talking things through is often the only way to understanding the problem. That would be where i would start. :o

if it was me i would talk to all the staff individually and see where the issues lie to try to resolve - i always find that the end of the term can be a real struggle and everyone is tired waiting for the summer hols to start!! so a girlie meal out or two!!! is always called for! :o

I agree talk to everyone individually.

A lot of disgruntlement in my experience comes when nobody is clear on what is actually expected of them. Are their roles defined? When was their last staff appraisal?

Find out what their strengths are and use them. I also find from personal experience that if nobody ever tells you that you are doing good work you can feel so unappreciated.

I agree - talk to them individually. We had a certain amount of friction some years ago and the three staff in question were egging each other on to an extent. By separating them and speaking to them individually we were able to find out what was upsetting each individually and diffuse some of the tension. Ultimately the three were not happy about the same issue, but for different reasons and additional upsets had been added by them sounding off to each other, causing them to be united in their unhappiness on one front, but also upset with each other. At the end of the day they all left at the same time but that was their choice as their original disagreement was not able to be solved as they would have liked (they all wanted a promotion they hadn't got), but by breaking down the individual upsets we could diffuse some tension before they left. (Am I repeating myself? Its Friday!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)