Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Need Some Advice

Well...(sorry to jump on this thread!) I would appreciate some advice.

I have been reception teacher at my current school since April 2007, where I went as an NQT covering maternity leave, I have since been made permanent though (which I'm thrilled with!). I worked as a nursery nurse for 6 years in a foundation stage unit as part of a primary school and trained to become a teacher part time for the last 5 years of this job so I have nearly 10 years experience of working within the FS. Anyway, I have worked really hard on preparations for the EYFS to make sure I am doing everything I should be doing, the school should be doing and the opportunties the children should be having. The head then offered me a TLR for foundation stage (from Sept) as our numbers are going up and we will have 2 YR classes in Sept & the other 2 teachers in the other class (job share) have NEVER taught YR in their lives (one of them being at the school for longer than I've been alive!!), so she wanted me to lead it. (She has always given me 'outstanding' whenever she has observed me and our advisor has said I'm doing a fantastic job & our head has kept saying that she wants to see my practice throughout school - which I was absolutely flattered and gobsmacked about) So I thought - great opportunity here! So I'd done loads of work for the 2 classes to make sure we are working parallel etc etc, same kinds of things happening and trying to work it as a unit. Had a conversation with the head about all my plans and she was really excited about it - great! (or so I thought!) another conversation then happened with her saying she isn't going to tell the rest of the staff about my leadership position - well I was gutted. Basically she wants me to 'suggest' different things like 'what do you think...I've tried...what about...' etc etc & letting them think they've done the work for it all. One reason she gave me (well, not really a reason just a passing comment) was that they might see me as just coming out of my NQT year and what do I know about it. I was mortified and so upset - I thought that if she had given me the TLR in the first place, she obviously thought I could do it and so should back me up regardless of what they think.

Sorry to have rambled on for ages, but have had no one to discus this with and its been happening for about a month now so has been on my mind all the time.

Any help or advice would be greatly received! :o

Sorry 25RED, your personal dilemma does sound rather odd. You obviously have a lot of FS experience and from what you say, your head seems to value you but it does seem odd that the TLR post that you believe you have been offered is not being recognised. However, this may be because it does not become viable until September or even that the TLR post can not be given, there are rules I believe that need to followed.

Unfortunately there are heads out there who will play games with their staff. You probably need to talk to your head to clarify the situation and explain how you feel. You may need to consult your union.

Until the situation changes it does seem that you have no option but to play things how your head wants you to and this may be a good tactic anyway.

Good luck.

25 Red-My advice would be that you give some reflection about the people who have been around for a long time because without them you won't have a team to work with. They will have left!luluj

I was mortified and so upset - I thought that if she had given me the TLR in the first place, she obviously thought I could do it and so should back me up regardless of what they think.

Sorry to have rambled on for ages, but have had no one to discus this with and its been happening for about a month now so has been on my mind all the time.

Any help or advice would be greatly received! :(

What a total nightmare!! Sounds horrible. I completely agree that if she's given you that responsibility she needs to back you up with it - how can she be giving you money to do a job but not giving you the authority to put things in place properly? If your colleagues don't know you're th FS coordinator, how are you going to lead them successfully? It's hard enough encouraging good practice, leading a team and bringing in new ideas without having the extra job of doing so in such a way that they think they're their ideas!! How exactly does your head see this working in practice? And what will happen when one of the other teachers goes to the head to ask who's got the TLR/ TLRs in your school? In fact, your head is asking you to be less than open, almost deceitful with your new team. If this all comes out in the open, which I expect it will do, what position is your head putting you in when they feel that you've been hiding something from them?

Now I've started rambling - sorry - but I completely sympathise with your position. Have you talked to your head and told her you don't feel comfortable with this? Sorry I can't offer you better advice - I'm sure someone else will be along with better ideas - you might need to start a new thread to make sure everyone sees the post, though.

Sorry to get cross on your behalf, but this kind of thing really irritates me. Things don't always seem to go as simply as the ideal would suggest. I am currently on the Senior Leadership Team (Head of FS and KS1) and literacy coordinator and get no money for it. xD We've not even got the excuse of being a tiny school - we're a one form entry primary school. Good luck with it all and let us know what happens! (And well done for the outstanding observations and feedback from the advisors! :o )

Thank you for replying.

the Head has cleared it with the Governors so it must be official and I have a job description. I spoke to my Head and explained some of my feelings (ish!) to try to clarify things and she said I am basically FS co-or but without people knowing.

Luluj - I'm not sure what you mean by that? I am very much a team player. You seem to be insinuating that I am not.

Hi 25RED - don't know if I can give you any worhwhile advice, but you have worked your socks off so far - you have loads of experience and show that you really understand how children learn in those really important early years. If I was you, I would have a word with your head and advise her of how you are feeling - you need to feel excited about September not fed up - I can see where your head is going, however you are the one with the knowledge and you should be recognised for the input you have to give. In any other work-place these issues would really not arise - we all have to be open to change in this day and age, and it is the responsibility of your head teacher to ensure that all staff are onside with any changes to be made in line with EYFS.

I have also enjoyed looking at thread on break times - running a pre-school we NEVER have a break as we work under 4 hours and there is no legal requirement to have one. Our view is that if staff want a drink or some fruit, they join the free flow snack bar and spend that time with the children. If someone wants a hot drink then they can only have this when they are washing up and has to be drunk in the kitchen. xD

Good luck 25RED :o

Dot

Thanks dot VERY much. And thanks too to emmajess. It is a total nightmare - you have said everything that I am feeling about it - how am I expected to lead a team without them knowing that i have the authority to do it?

I have worked really hard all the time I have been there and was so excited to have the opportunity to lead a team with my phylosophy, values and passionate belief in early years at the base my leadership. I loved all the work I put into it and still do.

Not really sure where to go next. :o

Quote: 'one of them being at the school for longer than I've been alive!!' I'll leave it there. luluj

And you're point is? Are you one of those people then who have been at the same school for far too long?

Move on

Hi 25RED, I have moved all your posts and the relevant replies into a new thread as they are completely separate topics. Hopefully this will be less confusing for those trying to follow the two! :o

Thanks for that Beau, I was in the process of responding to the dialogue between 25RED and luluj, and was finding it difficult to seperate it from the playtime content.

Peggy

25RED, don't think I've welcomed you yet, so hello and a warm welcome to the forum. :o

I agree with Susans comments to talk with your headteacher, maybe she has decided not to disclose your position until September, I suggest talk to her saying you don't understand why it's not announced yet, even though she mentions the fact that you are an NQT, (this didn't affect her decision to give you the role) and then ask her when she is going to inform the other staff. I can see how this would be upsetting, getting this position, but then not being able to share your delight with your colleagues.

The headteachers comment quote"One reason she gave me (well, not really a reason just a passing comment) was that they might see me as just coming out of my NQT year and what do I know about it." is suggesting that she expects that older more experienced (in terms of years) staff may be predjudiced against you getting the role as a 'younger' newly qualified person.

You are obviously very passionate about your work and the ethos of the EYFS, which your headteacher has recognised. My experience is preschool based, 25+ yrs, although some of those years, alongside my preschool work, I spent in advisory & quality assurance roles and as a part time lecturer at my local teacher training university.

I have noticed within this thread the comments between yourself and luluj, and would just like to say that your first comment quote "(one of them being at the school for longer than I've been alive!!)" may have been percieved as age discrimination, which I am sure you are aware is now an offence in law, but beside that such comments could be offensive to any person in that position which is possibly why luluj challenged it. She advises reflection, and as you know this is very much a part of a leadership role and a skill embodied in the EYFS ethos, for all practitioners to reflect on practice, and attitudes as well.

Age discrimination, be it against a 'new' NQT, or against 'a person being at a school for longer than I've been alive', is hurtful.

and actually causes deflection from objective thought and provokes feelings of anger, unfairness, frustration and sense of not being fully appreciatted about one's knowledge and skills, when the focus is based on age/length of service.

Maybe when overall attitudes are addressed within the school, leading from the headteacher, then maybe the transition into your new role for September will go smoothly, accordingly attitudes towards older, longer serving members of staff should be positive rather than negative, to be valued for what you do irrespective of age is the way forward.

As you know leading a team is about sound knowledge of subject, shared ethos and goals and best practice, it is also about people management within the ethos of mutual respect and valuing each others strengths, and supporting each others challenges.

But hey, I have my rose tinted glasses on again, in the ideal world (or school) attitudes towards age, experience, different visions, abilities to learn from the oldies, or embrace new ideas from the young would all be positive, unfortunately this is not always how it is in the real world.

Good luck with your new role, quote "Not really sure where to go next", have another chat with your headteacher and let her know how excited you are yet how disappointed too, ask her to explain specifically how she plans the transition into your new role will take place.

let us know how it goes in September won't you. xD

Peggy

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcome! :o

Just to say I never intended to offend anybody with anything I said and I was by no means discimintaing against anyone's age. - it is a fact (which they have said themselves) and I wasn't implying that it was a bad thing.

Things can be taken so wrongly on forums like this and it really frustrates me. I wasn't asking to be attacked for supposedly breaking the law. xD

I think I'll leave it there, close the thread and work it out myself another time

My apologies if I got the context of your original post wrong and I never intended to make you feel attacked or to accuse you of breaking the law. As you say, it appears things have been taken wrongly.

We really do try to be a supportive bunch on this forum, I don't use any other forums so can't comment on that. Misunderstandings do occur sometimes but are normally worked out between us with constructive responses without blame.

Rather than 'leaving it there' or 'closing the thread', it would be nice if misunderstandings could be put aside and your original request for support continues, should you want it to.

Your enthusiasm and passion really does shine through and I do empathise about how you feel about the way the headteacher has handled your promotion.

Peggy

Hi 25RED - It can sometimes be difficlult to get points accross on forums and in e-mails - when we meet personally, you can tell by eye-contact & body language how people respond, but extremely hard when just looking at a PC.

I think the points raised have been very interesting from both you Lulju and Peggy and we should all see thiese discussions as a positive and not a negative - I am sure you will get some more feedback in respect of how you should deal with the issues regarding your headteacher and I am sure all of us on the forum celebrate your new position. :oxD Dot

Just saying 'hi' 25 RED, nothing to add to help you I'm afraid. But I will say, I re-read your original post and didnt see your comments as ageist or that you werent a team player. Thats the only downside to a forum like Dot says, we cant see body language or hear voices.

But it really is the best forum around. :oxD

Hi 25 RED

Please don't be put off by a simple misunderstanding. I've always found the info and advice on the forum to be brilliant and I've had lots of virtual support from members when things haven't been going so well. Would love to hear from you again. Sounds like you are very dedicated and have lots to share with us all.

Sally

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)