Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Porridge Oats

When I was in tesco earlier I came across some porridge oats and I remembered some really good ideas for using porridge oats. Can't find them now though. So what do you use porridge oats for with your class? Any ideas for any areas greatfully received!!

Goldilocks and the three bears- making porridge

pooh bear- flap jacks yum

porridge is easy- just add milk and boil.

flap jacks-

Melt the butter in a pan, and add

Add oats, sugar and salt; mix

Stir with a spoon ...

... until evenly coloured

Put in metal tray (20cm x 20cm)

Bake in a pre-heated oven ...

... 375F (190C) for 20 minutes

Allow to cool, and cut

A piece of flapjack

enjoy!!

You can also add glitter to dry oats to make reindeer food at Christmas.

Suzy

OAT FACTS:

Oats

Also known as porridge oats.

Jumbo oats

Jumbo oats are milled in the traditional way which creates thick whole oat flakes which have a more distinctive texture than rolled oats. Waitrose sell Organic Jumbo Oats.

Uses: Ideal for use in cooking or as a muesli base or to make a more textured, heartier porridge than standard rolled oats.

To store: Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.

Rolled oats

Oats are a type of grain, rolled oats are made by steaming and rolling whole oats to make them quicker and easier to cook.

Uses: Rolled oats are used to make porridge, muesli, flapjacks and a variety of biscuits and cakes. Oats can be stirred in crumble toppings to add extra texture and flavour.

To store: Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.

Oatmeal

Oatmeal is made by stone-grinding the oat grain. Fine, medium, rough and pinhead grades are available. Uses: Used in foods such as haggis, oatcakes and porridge.

Just so you know all about oats- very good for you- i live on them!!!

porridge dough

6 cups porridge oats

6 cups plain flour

4 cups boiling water

4 tablespoons veg oil.

Put oats in bowl, add water.

Allow to hand cool, add flour and oil, stir until you have a pliable dough.

Can be dried in an oven.

Porridge Paint

Add porridge oats to paint. Can encourage language.

"my paint is too lumpy, sticky, hot, cold, smelly!" and so on.

put it in the water table with warm water for a real sensory experience - lovely, slimey, messy, gluey mixture! Go on, I dare you!!

put it in the water table with warm water for a real sensory experience - lovely, slimey, messy, gluey mixture! Go on, I dare you!!

How many childen eat it, LJW?

Am thinking of what we could add to make it smell nice!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)