Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Books On Bereavement

Hi

Just wondered if any one could recommend a good book for a child who is coping with the sudden death of his father.

There are lots of books listed on the forum but it is hard to know which ones are suitable

Your help would be most appreciated.

Glen

My favourite book about bereavment is Goodbye Mog. I know it isn't a person, but it is lovely!! However I do recommend you read it to yourself a few times before hand as I cried more than once!!

Read reviews here.

Feather Pillows - Rose Impey - Not a Dad but a grandma... may depend on age of child as to suitability

Synopsis: When the grown-ups talk about Sarah's Grandma, they start to cry. But all Sarah's memories are happy ones. Then Sarah finds a tiny white feather which reminds her of one especially wonderful day she shared with Grandma, and she discovers that you can laugh and cry at the same time.

Inge

Badgers Parting Gifts is great, but for older children - maybe a brother or sister or even adult relatives might appreciate it? There's a lovely story sack that goes with it with beautiful puppets that might make it more appropriate for younger children or the whole family to share. The other two books mentioned above are beautiful too.

Got any for adults as well! my Dad died at 1am this morning :o unexpected but expected as he has had cancer for the last three years xD

Got any for adults as well! my Dad died at 1am this morning :o unexpected but expected as he has had cancer for the last three years xD

I am so sorry to here your sad news Brenda. :(

Hope you are ok and sending lots of virtual hugs!!!

Brenda - sending much sympathy. I've been there & wish you well in the days, weeks & months ahead.

Nona

For children, I have a book "Why do people die? Helping your child understand - with love and illustrations."by Cynthia Mac Gregor (ISBN 0-8184-0598-8)

It's a little bit American in parts (sneakers rather than trainers etc) but I found it a great starting point with my then just 6 year old daughter when my father-in-law died suddenly.

Synopsis : the passing of a relative can be a bewildering time for children. In this poignant, moving & straight-forward book, children will discover answers to their questions when those they love die. Designed to be read aloud to young children, this full-colour book delivers information forthrightly, honestly, and in a consoling tone. It answers all the questions children could possibly ask, such as "why do people die?" "what happens at a funeral?" "why do I feel sad?" A parent who is stuck for words or needs a little help with an explanation will find here a sensitively illustrated text that eases children's minds and brings them comfort and assurance.

im sorry to hear about your loss Brenda

I agree with shiny about the mog book (and other books dealling with death) read them through its hard to talk with a child when you crying over the story, we had a mum die suddenly two years ago and it was so difficult to talk to the child as we were also grieving.

heres a couple of books -

When Uncle Bob Died (Talking It Through)

by "Althea" (Author), Sarah Wimperis (Illustrator)

and

I Miss You: First Look at Death (First Look at Books) (Paperback)

by Pat Thomas (Author)

type these into amazon and it brings up lists of other childrens books about death

Nona, sorry to hear such sad news. :o

BrendaS, although you say your dads death was expected, you are still in shock. Heartfelt sympathies to you and your family. We are all here for you if you want to 'sound out' any feelings, just type away, at any time, and then it's up to you whether to press the 'Add reply' button, just putting thoughts down in text may help.

For both of you I found a list of books about death and bereavement ( not just related to cancer) for children and adults with a short description of the book content on the Marie Curie website.

HERE

I HOPE IT HELPS.

Peggy

Thoughts are with you and your family Brenda, we have just lost someone too - to cancer also, we knew it was coming but always such a shock too.

Love your loved ones and celebrate the life your dad had with you all, what else can we do hey, time will do it's thing :o

So sorry Brenda.

For children I would agree with goodbye Mog,, that still chokes me,, and badgers parting gifts,, had it myself when my grandparents died, but I was older, but very good book

Essc

• 3 weeks later...

just adding another book for future use if needed while i remember it...

Michael Rosen's Sad Book

Synopsis

We all have sad stuff - maybe you have some right now, as you read this. What makes Michael Rosen most sad is thinking about his son, Eddie, who died. In this book he writes about his sadness, how it affects him and some of the things he does to try to cope with it.

Inge

Sorry to hear the sad news, it's difficult to know how to help because everyone copes in different ways. When one of my children's mum died I found the help offered by the charity Winston's Wish was invaluable for myself, their Dad and grandma and for the children. They offer a range of book lists too.

What can one say thats not been said....

I'll Aways love you by Hans Wilhelm

A boy takes comfort in his grief in the fact that every night he told Elfie his dog who has died 'I'll always love you'.I use it to help explain what we say to each today is important tomorrow.

My Great-Grandpa by Michael Waddell (owl babies).

Lots of our children have lost Great Grandparents

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)