Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Aahh Please Help Me - Re: Ta Post

This evening I've just had a phonecall from a headmistress at a nearby Primary School regarding a job application I sent in yesterday for the position of Teaching Assistant.

She has invited me to go in on Friday and work with a class of year 2 pupils between 1pm and 2pm......ahhhh to say I'm scared is an understatement. xD

I currently work as a Registered Childminder so have no idea what will be expected of me on Friday also I'm more confident working with babies to 4yr olds....6 and 7yr olds frighten me lol !!!! :o

I've also been invited for an interview on Monday at 6.15pm - nothing like short notice.

I'd really, really appreciate some advice and tips.

Thanks x

Guest Wolfie

Can you fit in time for a visit to the school before Friday, just to familiarise yourself with the surroundings and a couple of faces? Fear of the unknown is a big thing and I think it would help you to have an idea of how things look and run before you go in there in an interview situation.

If you CAN go, ring and say that you would like to come and look round - and go armed with a few questions, the answers to which might in turn help you at the interview.

I can't help as far as the actual interview goes but I'm sure someone else can!

Good luck and let us know how you get on! :o

Think of Y2 as big 4 year olds :o

Can't offer a lot of advice as all schools use support staff differently but I would think Letters & Sounds may come up so might be worth taking a quick look also the new literacy and numeracy framework just to show you are aware. Good Luck

I have been helping out in a year 2 class this year and its a great age group. They thrive on praise and as a teaching ass while ive been in that class a lot of time has been listening to readers helping with their writing etc.

The best advice is to ask the children you are working with questions eg if they are reading ask them questions about the book and get them predicting what might be coming next,, would like to be in that story etc.

If working with children doing literacy when theere writing remind to check work ,sound out ,say what comes at the end of a sentence, what about sppech marks can you think of a different word etc.

The most important thing thing is to be yourself and the kids will love you and this will shine through.

good look.

Thanks for your replies.....Marion that's good advice telling me to think of them as big 4yr olds ! lol :o

Wolfie, unfortunately I won't be able to visit the school before Friday as I've got childminding commitments however when I drop off my children in school tomorrow morning I'll ask their headteacher and my son's class teacher (he's in year 2 lol) what they would expect me to do (it's not his school that I'm going for the interview in).

I'm from Wales and from September 08 the Foundation Phase will be replacing KS1 and the Early Years hence the reason why there are lots of Teaching Assistants posts becoming available. The focus is more on learning through play, active involvement, practical activities and less on 'formal' teaching.....(there won't be a worksheet to be seen lol).

The Foundation Phase will require a significant change of approach and delivery in the classroom and, more significantly, outside the classroom - there's a greater emphasis being placed on outdoor learning which I think is excellent.

Guest Wolfie

Cannonbolt, it sounds to me as though you know an awful lot about what will be going on and the principles behind the new Foundation Phase...I think you'd be ideal for the job! :o

Awww thanks for your kind words Wolfie and Marion I really enjoyed looking at those links (I've never seen the video's before but found them really interesting).

I did speak briefly to my son's teacher and her advice was to basically be myself....easier said than done when you know eyes are watching you lol.

Well I'll let you know how I get on later.

Thanks again

x

Oh my goodness Shiny - what utter madness lol !!!!!

I was with a class of Yr 2 pupils and the teacher decided to do a painting activity which apparently they don't do very often so you can imagine....

Friday afternoon + painting + yr 2 = chaos.

When I got home I found paint in places I didn't think paint could reach lol.

I was a bit disappointed as they were offering a part-time position working with Key Stage 2 in particular two boys with behavioural problems (who I worked with today) but on my application form I'd expressed my interest working within the Foundation Phase.

There are 3 positions available part-time in Nursery, full-time in Reception and part-time in KS2. The Deputy Head did invite me back to work with the Nursery children on Monday morning but obviously I've got my work commitments as a Childminder, I managed to finish early today but I won't get that privilege again and won't let my parents down.

This experience has made me realise that I want to stay childminding......I'm vey proud of the children I care for and how they behave in my house and when we're out and about and hopefully they'll continue to behave in the correct manner when they start school.

Oh Cannonbolt, I hope you have managed to wash off the paint from those strange places!! xD:(:(

It is very different working in a school environment from your own 'setting' be it preschool/nursery/childminding. There is a massive contrast from my school and preschool work. I find it very difficult to work from other peoples plans. If you don't plan a lesson yourself then you are never quite sure what the 'end product' is to look like. Working as a TA is also not for everyone and when you have effectively been your own boss for so long it is hard to work from someone else's song sheet!! :o

What a great positive to take away from the experience. Stick to what you enjoy!! :(

This experience has made me realise that I want to stay childminding......I'm vey proud of the children I care for and how they behave in my house and when we're out and about and hopefully they'll continue to behave in the correct manner when they start school.

Good for you, cannbolt: you never know whether the grass is truly greener on the other side of the fence, do you? At least now you know you're better off in your own little patch! You sound very committed indeed - your families are lucky to have you!

Maz

Guest Wolfie

Sometimes I think it's little experiences like these that make you realise just how much you enjoy your current job! Like others have said, that's a great positive to take away from the whole thing, isn't it?

:o Oh Cannonbolt, how I laughed!

I've been a childminder for nearly 11 years now & on 3 (yes 3!) occasions I've decided to "move on" and have applied for jobs in schools or nurseries. Each time an existing client has then come to tell me they are pregnant & want me to mind the baby xD So on with the childminding! Earlier this year I applied for a part time job intending to do before & after school care around it - and yes, an existing client announced their pregnancy! I've decided that childminding is what I'm meant to be doing, & doing well according to Ofsted & the parents - one of whom is a HLTA & thinks I'd be mad to consider swapping what I do for what she does!

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)