Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bilingual Workers

I have a bilingual worker attached to my Early Years team. She is not a qualified child care worker but does help alongside the others. I want to develop her role into something more than just being around for interpretation. Does anyone have any ideas or can anyone suggest articles or books which might be useful to me?

hi Dana,

not sure if we've met before,so in case not welcome!

We have bilingual LSAs in our classrooms who are not necessarily qualified although they have had LSA training, on the job. Most were mothers pulled in off the playground initially! :D

With support and guidance your bilingual assistant should be able to work with a group of children on almost any activity that you choose, shouldn't she? You can't leave her in a position of responsabilty ie the only adult in the room or outside, at least not without the express permission and knowledge of your head but she should be able to play games, paint, build, role play or whatever supporting the children bilingually as required. Also ideal for assessing children's understanding in their mother tongue with clear guidelines from you, as teacher?

I also like my bilingual assistants to mimic everything I say at least initially, almost second guessing me and certainly to stop me if they sense the children need support.

How exactly do you use her at the moment?

Guest BevW

I agree with Susan that bi-lingual support workers can be invaluable in many ways. I :o have found it particularly useful to ask a BSW to work on a practical activity with children, initially in their home language and then to introduce relvant vocabulary in English. By discussing the learning objectives and key vocabulary required beforehand I have found that this has been productive in all areas of learning. When possible I ask the BSW to introduce the key vocab in this way in advance of whole group/class sessions so that the children have a working knowledge of the area of learning and the necessary vocabulary. this leads an increase in confidence and self esteem which is invaluable as encouragement. By using the home language the children have access to the concept and the learning objectives no matter what level their English is at.

Hi Bev -

Let me just interrupt quickly to say hi and welcome to the forum. Thanks also for your interesting first post.

Sounds like you have some good experience we should hear more about! :D

Steve

I forgot to say that I am not working in a school. I coordinate play provision as part of a Sure Start programme. All our children are under 4 and some only a few months old. Their parents are always with them and are encouraged to join in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)