Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our Song

Inspired by Steves Laughing Lenny thread, made me think about music and lyrics and what they mean to us.

So, I thought I'd ask, What is 'your "Our song"?

Hubby and I have two..............

We went out together in our teens, our song then was Nillson "Without You" because he joinedthe boys service (then Army) at age 15 yrs, He was my first love.

We split up as his Army career progressed and I stayed at home. I remember writing him a poem when he first joined up.

20+ yrs later, he left the Army as a single, divorced parent and came and found me. We married 2 yrs later.

Our Song now, 2nd time around is Al Green "Let's stay together"

When we got back together I asked him if he remembered the poem I had written to him ( I still had some old love letters from those days)

He recited it back to me word for word, here it is. ( remember I was only 14 yrs old when I wrote it, very basic 'lyrics')

No letter that I write to you

Can say the things I want it to,

For how can words reveal a part

Of all the longing in my heart.

No pen nor ink can translate this

The tender sweetness of your kiss,

Nor any words convey as much

as just a look, a smile, a touch.

There are no words that can but say

I love and miss you more each day.

I did get a slight reality check when I was so chuffed he had remembered it, because he then went on to tell me how many £5's he earnt 'selling' the poem to his soldier comrades, when they wanted to get in the 'good books' of their girlfriends. :o

My neice recited the poem at our wedding.

So, What's your song?

Peggy

Wow - great lines Peggy! Have you carried on as a poet? And I love it that the poem was not only moving to your other half, but profitable! :o

I'll have to think about the 'our song' question. Nothing comes to mind immediately, although 'Wonderful Tonight' (referring to me obviously) was the tune we started the dancing to at our wedding.

"Wonderful tonight" :o , should that be "Lady in Red"? , no, maybe not if the song referred to you. :( . Who sang it? Lionel Richie / Commodores ?

I do enjoy poetry, but my skills have remained at elementory level, maybe now I've got a much less stressful life I'll have more 'relaxed' time to contemplate some verse xD

Peggy

aww Peggy that poem is wonderful, and hubby is very resourceful

my hubby insists 'our' song is three times a lady by the commodores

My song is Van Morrision's 'Moondance' I met my man whilst working at a pub, he used to work there too. When our shift finished we used to take a walk in the park in the moonlight - yes and occaisionally dance!! I now collect songs with 'moon' in them, when I'm 50 I'd like a moonlight party!

Teri

Me and Joe have 2 songs. The first is 'Your Song' by Elton John but the version used in the Moulin Rouge film as that was our first dance at our wedding and Joe will often sing it to me as he has it on his MP3 player going to and from work and he says it always reminds him of our special day.

The other is 'Song for the Others' by Beautiful South (I think that's what it is called) it's the one with all the girls names in it. This was played at Joe's 21st party which was a joint do with his parents 21st wedding anniversary and was the first time I really met all his family. We danced to it and it was a very special moment we shared after being together just 6 months.

'Something inside so strong' by Labi Siffre while we were dating all of 3 days :o before we announced our engagement

We came down the aisle to Bridge over troubled water played on the church organ.Hubby had just come through a cancer scare in the 6 months prior to the wedding and the words meant a lot.I didn't want to run out I wanted to stop and speak to people on the way out.The church was full of children and parents as we'd provided a double decker from school to the church.I wouldn't tell the children what the something blue was they would have to spot it -it was a blue butterfly on the end of my train xD

we danced our first dance at the reception to And I love you so by Don Mclean (american pie) sung by Perry Como

And I love you so.

The people ask me how,

How I’ve lived till now.

I tell them I don’t know.

I guess they understand

How lonely life has been.

But life began again

The day you took my hand.

Well our song is 'Zoom' by Fat Larry's Band... a classic....we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary last year.

I've got the tune in my head now :o

Congratulations on 25 years. xD

Peggy

aww Peggy that poem is wonderful, and hubby is very resourceful

my hubby insists 'our' song is three times a lady by the commodores

That one was for my hubby's x-wife, but I still enjoy dancing to it with him. I was his 1st lady, she was his 2nd, now I'm his Three times a lady. :o Love the Commodores.

Peggy

My song is Van Morrision's 'Moondance' I met my man whilst working at a pub, he used to work there too. When our shift finished we used to take a walk in the park in the moonlight - yes and occaisionally dance!! I now collect songs with 'moon' in them, when I'm 50 I'd like a moonlight party!

Teri

What a great music 'theme' for a party, I can see another thread looming to list all the 'moon' songs. :o

Peggy

Me and Joe have 2 songs. The first is 'Your Song' by Elton John but the version used in the Moulin Rouge film as that was our first dance at our wedding and Joe will often sing it to me as he has it on his MP3 player going to and from work and he says it always reminds him of our special day.

The other is 'Song for the Others' by Beautiful South (I think that's what it is called) it's the one with all the girls names in it. This was played at Joe's 21st party which was a joint do with his parents 21st wedding anniversary and was the first time I really met all his family. We danced to it and it was a very special moment we shared after being together just 6 months.

Isn't it great how particular songs provoke great memories (and feelings). :o

Peggy

'Something inside so strong' by Labi Siffre while we were dating all of 3 days :o before we announced our engagement

We came down the aisle to Bridge over troubled water played on the church organ.Hubby had just come through a cancer scare in the 6 months prior to the wedding and the words meant a lot.I didn't want to run out I wanted to stop and speak to people on the way out.The church was full of children and parents as we'd provided a double decker from school to the church.I wouldn't tell the children what the something blue was they would have to spot it -it was a blue butterfly on the end of my train :(

we danced our first dance at the reception to And I love you so by Don Mclean (american pie) sung by Perry Como

And I love you so.

The people ask me how,

How I’ve lived till now.

I tell them I don’t know.

I guess they understand

How lonely life has been.

But life began again

The day you took my hand.

3 great classics xD I always forget about Labi Siffre, but when reminded I easily remember his fantastic voice.

Simon and Garfunkel - BRILL

The Don Mclean lyrics are so apt for a weding, aren't they.

Peggy

The good old Commodores strike again for us! I went out with Richard first when I was just 12 and he was 16. As you can imagine we had many break ups and heart aches through our early years as we were both growing and changing so much. At various times we dated other people, however we always had a special place in our hearts for each other and somehow kept getting back together. Our song is 'Still'. :o

Oh Peggy what a lovely poem. I have been doing memory lane quite a bit in the last few weeks as my Dad has just celebrated his 90th birthday, so we have had family reunions and memories galore the last few weeks.

Ive been married 29 years this May so when I got married it was Saturday night fever and ours was How deep is your love. We played it at our engagement party, one of the odd things that don't seem to happen any more is engagement parties. It used to be a way of getting presents to start off your "bottom drawer" but I think it has died out now with people gettig married after they have lived together.

Next year will be my 30th and my parents 60th so we will have a big party to celebrate, all being well. It might also be the year my son gets married!!!!!!

We've been married 29 years this month too! I always remember dropping my husband off at the station on a Sunday night - he lived 2 hours away, and we only saw each other at weekends when we first met. The song on the radio was, "When I Need You" by Leo Sayer, and when I hear it I think how lucky I am because I can keep him to myself all week, now!

Our song is Elton John's 'Someone saved my life tonight'. When I met my partner he was going through a bad time - his mum had recently died suddenly and his then girlfriend had left him for his best mate. 15 years later, he still calls me his guardian angel!

Sally

Ah, I just knew we would have a forum full of romantics. xD

The only song I don't know is Marions, shall have to see if I can find it. :o

Peggy

Don't know if we really have a song...but Van Morrison They'll be days like this and Moondance are popular on Sunday mornings and have been played for 22 years so I guess they are our songs - always makes us have a hug and a smile to each other amidst the chaos that our children are creating around us. Round that off with Sunday dinner and walk with the dogs and I would say that is a recipe for success.

What a lovely thread Peggy, I adore my husband and it's nice to be able to stop for a moment and think about it all.

We went to see The Black Keys last night in Birmingham and that was amazing, we have vowed to gig once a month and it has become really special, the power of music is amazing.

Edited by Guest

So tired of waiting I walked an empty land,

I was looking for something to help me understand,

But bad luck kept turning,

My dreams into sand,

I didn't want pity,

I had my share of friends,

I wanted somebody,

More special than the rest,

I was aching inside,

Like I was approaching the end,

Just about that moment,

The timing was so right,

You appeared like a vision,

Sent down to my life,

I thought I was dreaming,

When I saw you that night,

That's when love walked in through my door,

That familiar feeling I had once before,

Love walked in through my door,

And it felt so strange,

It's hard to remember being on my own,

That kind of loving makes a hard man lose control,

But I sleep so much better,

Now I'm not alone,

So promise me baby,

You're always gonna stay,

I don't think I could take it,

Seeing you walk away,

You don't need to doubt it,

I remember that day,

I found just what I wanted,

But I got so much more,

And it felt so strange,

Like a long lost friend that hadn't changed,

Giving me hope again,

Love walked in,

Love walked in,

Love,

Just about that moment,

The timing was so right,

You appeared like a vision,

Sent down to my life,

I thought I was dreaming,

When I saw you that night,

That familiar feeling I had once before,

That familiar feeling I had it once before,

And it felt so strange,

Like a long lost friend that hadn't changed,

Giving me hope again,

Love walked in,

Love walked in,

Love,

Love walked in,

Love walked in.

he's an old rocker Peggy :ohttp://www.last.fm/music/Thunder/_/Love+Walked+In

Our "other" song is another rock song by the Dan Reed Network

Our love is higher than the mountains

Stronger than steel

Forever isn't long enough, to show you how I feel

Our love is deeper than the ocean

Stronger than steel

Forever isn't long enough, to show you how I feel

Some lovely stories, particularly yours Peggy, how romantic!

Like you Di, my husband and I only saw each other at weekends, which meant we had lots to catch up on :o . Every other weekend I had the train journey, and tube through London, very brave for an 18 year old from the country!

Then every evening on the telephone for hours on end. Must have something to do with the fact that we were engaged within 4 months and married within 7 months. Number 1 son didn't come along until 5 years later!

http://www.last.fm/music/Fat+Larry%27s+Ban.../+1-nX9LSOshOYY

Hopefully this is a link to a you tube video of Fat Larry's Band singing Zoom live - what a treat, they don't write lyrics like that anymore - 'smack, just one kiss and I was out of whack, all at once there was no turning back' - well it was rather llike that!

Got to number 2 in the charts in October 1982.

Edited by Deb

:o I remember fat larry's zoom from the old school disco Ileft in 1988 it was when that song came on all the girls rushed for their "Rimmel Iced shampink lispstick or the cola flavoured lip golss for a smooch with the love of their life !!!!!!!!!!! oh the memories.

One of mine and my husbands songs is "Don't want to miss a thing " by Aerosmith The one out of the film Aarmageddon. WHen I hear this song even in the car it always brings a tear to my eye!!!.

"Wonderful tonight" :o , should that be "Lady in Red"? , no, maybe not if the song referred to you. xD . Who sang it? Lionel Richie / Commodores ?

Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton? As in "you look wonderfu-u-ul to-oonight?"

And really Peggy: how Steve likes to dress in the evenings is really none of our business! :(

Maz

Just got engaged on leap day, i took the plunge after 8 years!! just waiting to set a date so we will have to think of a song.

One that sticks in my mind is the first time i went to his mum and dads house and his dad put a song on which we had never heard before called 'Hey Paula'. My partners name is Paul so his dad thought it would be nice to let us hear the song and we had a bit of a giggle.

It would be quite good actually having that as our song as it is named after both of us and the lyrics are quite fitting. All of paul's friends put it on the pub jukebox when were in to try and embarras him ha ha.

Hey hey Paula, I wanna marry you.

Hey hey Paula, no one else could ever do.

I've waited so long for school to be through,

Paula, I can wait no more for you,

my love, my love.

Hey Paul, I've been waiting for you.

Hey hey Paul, I wanna marry you too.

If you love me true, if you love me still,

our love will always be real,

my love, my love.

Paula xxx