Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Doubting Myself Again

hi everyone, yet again im on here as im doubting the decisions i mkae and wondered if u lovely people could reassure me or give constructuve critisim

ive already asked what i should be doing in terms of reading as the setting was using oxford reading tree, and i decided i would like to operate a library for parents to tkae story books home to share with children.

i approached this with my nn today as we are currently writing junes newsletter and thought would be good to start it at the beginning of month and inform parents this way.

i have decided to put the emphasis on the parent if they want a book to share they can choose on (or the child can) they then just need to sign a form to say when they took what book (which will be in an accessible place, clear and easy to use) this is so we know where our books are and who has them.

i also want the parents to be able to choose whether they want storybook or oxford reading tree ( im not a big fan so have not been promoting it)

nn disagreed, wanted :

us to encourage children to take books rather then us leave it to the parent, so we would get the book, write down what it was and put it in their bag, as some parents may not actively do it and she was worried that those who dont do it would be at a disadvantage- my reply the children can access books in nursery, while good to do it at home isnt necessary and there will be some parents who never do it.

wanted to alternate the storybook and ort book as we need to prepare them for school and they will have ort at school and will have to take books home, my reply- we are not at school, they are 3 years old they need to learn to enjoy books first there should be no pressure. and again she mentioned we have a child going to shcool in sept so he should defo be taking books

arr its doing my head in, why do some practitioners feel the need to always prepare children for the next stage by doing what the next stage does, rather then preapring them with the skills they will need

i understand some parents may not want and will not take part or may feel shy about taking a bool but i think if they are well informed and their are clear signs etc to tell them it will be ok

heeeeeeeeeeeeelllpppp!!!!

xx

Edited by Guest

I agree with you so don't doubt yourself.

In my experience, if you make parents take something home without them wanting to, they will pop it on the shelf at home or leave it in the car etc.

You could go down the angle of getting the children excited about a book: "mummy daddy - can we take this one home tonight?"

As for ort - :o

I agree with you so don't doubt yourself.

In my experience, if you make parents take something home without them wanting to, they will pop it on the shelf at home or leave it in the car etc.

You could go down the angle of getting the children excited about a book: "mummy daddy - can we take this one home tonight?"

As for ort - :o

u not like the ort then?i really have an aversion to it, i havnt actually used it but i just dont like it, but its there n the manager etc likes it n so do some parents!!!!!!!!1

Get the children really excited about the other books - which naturally they will be. After all, we are meant to be following their lead!

my reply- we are not at school, they are 3 years old they need to learn to enjoy books first there should be no pressure.

arr its doing my head in, why do some practitioners feel the need to always prepare children for the next stage by doing what the next stage does, rather then preapring them with the skills they will need

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you!! You are so right! This is my second attempt at replying to you as my first just turned into a huge rant xD which I thought I would spare everyone! :o So I will just leave it at that - go with the storybooks and NO ORT IN NURSERY!!

Emma

Just a quickie northernbird - should be working because I'm on a deadline for tomorrow which I have little hope of meeting. But still...

We have a similar system - we ask the children to come to our book corner, choose a book to take home to share with their family and pop it in their book bag with a 'reading record' book on which the parent/grandma/big sis or whoever writes what the child particularly liked/disliked about the book. We have a similar objective in mind - that children need to enjoy sharing books with the people they love rather than 'learning to read'. We view it as another of the activities on offer during the session (we do it on Fridays). Our children are between 2 and 5.

We do it this way because we have limited time available for parents to do it themselves (and we have to pack away at the end of the session so we do like a speedy throughput at the end of the day! :o ). However, I would re-think this if I could have a dedicated bookshelf for the purpose (I was very inspired by the huge shelf of books at Pen Green available for families to borrow as and when required which parents can access at any time the centre is open). We find parents enjoy the 'library' system, and the children really like changing their books each week. Your nursery nurse might be surprised at the amount of 'pester power' that children will exert if they see their friends' grown ups choosing a book to take home regularly whilst theirs do not!

Perhaps some form of compromise is in order? However if this is something you feel strongly about, you need to have the courage of your convictions and give the lead here - assuming you have seniority here and have the authority (sorry - can't remember what your position is!) to make this kind of decision.

I completely agree with your point about the pressure to 'get children ready' for their next stage at the expense of enabling them to enjoy the stage they're at currently. I think it would send out the wrong message if you sent home any sort of reading scheme book for children of this age: much better (in my opinion - I stress!) for them to take a book they like the look of or that has jolly pictures or whatever. Let's face it: children in primary school will be taking reading books home soon enough: much better to develop a love of books and view them as a pleasurable pastime at this early stage.

Have confidence northernbird! You know your stuff and if you truly believe it is right for your setting, go for it. In the nicest possible way, of course! xD

That wasn't exactly a quickie - was it! Sorry :(

Maz

This is my second attempt at replying to you as my first just turned into a huge rant xD which I thought I would spare everyone! :o

See: Emma has the self-discipline I lack! I note that four people have posted in the time it took me to get on and off my soapbox!

thankyou

feeling abit better now

just thinking about how i said it, didnt explain my self very well, and think i shot her down a little bit oops, but do feel strongly about it and i am in charge (HEHE)

I worked at nursery with a child called Gruff. Does that count?

We used to have a seperate book of books which the children took home. They could swap them or re-read them as often as they liked. There was a book for parents to write in if they wanted but we were very strict on the 'we are not teaching them to read' thing. The books were to enjoy with family members or even alone. Staff would spend time in the session re-reading the books if the children wanted or sat and listened while the child read to us.

I'm of the same opinion that we should let children be the age they are and not constantly 'prepare' them. And its suprising how many NN's I come across who need to do this, is it part of training these days!?

Could you ask the mums if one of them would be willing to 'man' the books for a short time to show the rest of them how the system works and encourage them to use it? Once up and running I would imagine that it would be well used but perhaps initially some of them may be a little reluctant until they see others using it.

Personally I also would do away with the ORT altogether in terms of a free choice in a library - they are terrible reading books and I can't imagine any child getting enthused by the stories in them! I also think it would give out the wrong message about what the library is for - the very parents who would take the ORT in preference to 'proper' books are the ones who absolutely should not be taking them!!

See: Emma has the self-discipline I lack! I note that four people have posted in the time it took me to get on and off my soapbox!

Now that's the very first time ever I've been called self-disciplined!! Hooray! I must be growing up at last! :o

I don't want to get into a rant either so I will just quickly say I agree with everything that has been said :o . Put your foot down if you have the authority and the children will be better off.

I don't want to get into a rant either so I will just quickly say I agree with everything that has been said :o . Put your foot down if you have the authority and the children will be better off.

haha we should get a rant section, think id enjoy reading peoples rants on certain issues!!!!!

haha we should get a rant section, think id enjoy reading peoples rants on certain issues!!!!!

Personally I like to indulge in at least one rant per day. On a good day I can vent my spleen at least twice before snacktime :o

Maz

I totally agree, children need books that excite them so they enjoy reading and does not become a chore at such an early age!

Go with your instincts, at the end of the day what is the worst that can happen? parents don't go for the idea,,,,, but I'm sure that won't happen!!

Good luck,

ESSC

Reading schemes in nursery and ORT in general would definitely get some good rants going! That and health and safety myths, never ending risk assessments (we have to do a risk assessment for painting!), CAT POO!, worksheets, people thinking its too cold / rainy for children to be outdoors... I could go on! :o What other top ranting topics do people have?

No ORT ANYWHERE... who would call their children Biff &Chip?

Judging by some of the strange names we have at work at the moment, you would probably be surprised!!!