Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journey

Hi all

had a meeting/training with the school foundation stage leader we have agreed on what she would like from pre-school in the way of transition documentation . We also chose a learning journey format. i would like to do some in house training on this I have some info from the Cdrom has anyone got any more info or can point me in the right direction?

sue

hi sue, we had in house training on transition delivered by the PSLA it was very good and gave us lots of ideas!

There will be a new document from the National Strategies team called "Progress from the Start" at the end of the month. It will be covering examples of formative and summative assessments, I believe. :o

Need some clarification please in respect of the learning journeys which are on the EYFS cd rom -

just wondered

A) have you all implimented these (in respect of pre-school ?

:o how are you implimenting - ie if you observe a child in play re your aim being PSED do you complete one specifically for this area.

B ) are you all aiming to complete a learning journey in each area of learning over a half term period.

just wish my training was now rather than end of June ????? - explanation on CD does not seem very clear, though I am wondering if it is me rather than the EYFS cd.

xD Dot

Hi Dot,

We observe a child at free play, writing down as much as we can. At a later date we link the skills and knowledge that we think the child has demonstrated, to the EYFS development matters statements, and then decide as a staff group what the next steps for that child might be. I attach our learning journey sheet. I think that with many activities, you can comment on several areas of the EYFS at the same time, so I don't think there's a need to concentrate on one area at each observation. How do others feel?

Learning_Journey.doc

we are beginning to do same.. so much is linked in play it would be really hard to separate it out into areas and really see no reason to.

we use same format as Helen for recording but add a photo taken at some time during the obs.

Inge

Edited by Inge

Thanks Inge & Helen - the download copy of your learning journey is really lovely - just one question for the simple minded is the learning journey the part where you have just one observation in - and next steps your eveluation of what they have done and next steps ? Thanks Dot :o

Helen thats exactly how we hope to do ours or should I say how I would like the staff to do them. What Im looking for are some training formats to help explain and deliver it to staff. you seem to do this very well but I tend to have it in my head but not explain it well so need some documentation to refer to and handouts for staff to digest. The CDrom has some good stuff on but not perhaps as simplistic as I would like. i guess I will have to spend my bank holiday trying to work it all out will have plenty time as having a minor op on Friday so got a few days off.

rather interested to see how others are doing this or any other in house training as regards the EYFS. this will be our second bit of training I thought I would break each section down and do a few small twilights .

sue

Dot, that's exactly right :o We observe the child over ten minutes or so, and write as much down as we can, especially quotes from the child.

Sue,

You could do a few dummy observations on an imaginary child, keeping it as simple and straightforward as you like. Then, match it up to one or two development matters statements in as many learning areas as you can. Then when you meet with your staff, ask them to discuss in pairs or groups, what they think the next steps might be for this imaginary child. They can refer to the development matters sections of course, but the most useful columns are the effective practice and planning and resourcing, which give you lots of ideas of where to take the learning. xD

thanks helen will take your advice and work on some examples . I might get them to bring an observation then work on a learning journey .

sue

Guest Wolfie

If you're looking for some "dummy" observations, there are some good examples on the EYFS CD-ROM - I've used them for staff training and they worked well.

this is an example on what we are doing at the moment. we observe the child, take notes and take photos as well, them by looking at the observation we have made of the child we plan for her/him the following week. We show the child the observation we have made and get her/him to comment on it, then we also show the parent to see if the observation links to him/her at home.

learning_journey.doc

thanks Wolfie will do

what a nice format Aussie contributions from everyone, may I ask how and when do you ask your parents to fill them in?

sue

we usually get the observation printed up first with photos, than show the parents when they come in the morning, so that we can go ahead and start planning for their child's learning the following week

• 2 months later...
Can anybody advise me on where to obtain A3 paperbeck books for Learning Journeys. Getting nowhere fast!

Hi the biggest I could find for my new Nursery class was an oversized project book from GLS not quite what I wanted but will probably be easier to store!

Faye

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)