Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs And Ofsted

A burning question I m sure is on many peoples minds !!!

Do any other settings know yet what Ofsted will be expecting from them with regard to EYFS?

As childminders we have yet to be told.A letter I received from Ofsted recently about changes in registration , states that we will be sent a new version of the "are you ready for your inspection?"leaflet in July 08

Ive attended two days EYFS training so far and were told then by the trainer they did nt know as Ofsted had nt said.That we d be offered more training when they knew.

However a colleague of mine was talking to a local playgroup leader who said she knew and was planning and altering her practice accordingly.She did nt say what ! but I now wonder have we missed something?

Hi

Like you, we have heard nothing - only the same letter about the the 'are you ready....' will be sent out (July 08) and we are a Pre School (similar set up to a playgoroup).

From what I heard from our last inspector (July 07) the inspection under the EYFS will be based heavily on your SEF, with a lot of the work done by assessing yourselves and then the Inspector verifying it (or not!?). So what are they being paid for exactly, if we are now to do the bulk of the work for them?

Anyway, I don't have any concrete evidence to back this up - it was literally 'word of mouth' from an Inspector who wasn't too sure herself. I feel sorry for the first cohort of settings who are insepcted under the new EYFS if Ofsted don't inform us in time to make changes/tweak paperwork etc.

But I suppose they'd be out of a job if we all had sufficent info to put everything into place before they arrived! (sorry - bit cynical, I know, but I do wonder if we're not always given the info that we need.)

Wow !! a whole days training so it ll be the blind leading the blind!!!

Thank goodness I had my inspection Dec 07

The SEF form is very daunting ,2 colleagues of mine were asked to trial it and it took hours!We looked at it together one evening to try and sort out exactly what they were asking before they went off to put it down in writing ,and although I m not Einstien I do try and keep up to date with things and undertake regular training it was a mine field

Its ok if you can talk the talk ,but I feel sorry for anyone who s not good at putting things in writing.will they fail or get a poorer grading if its not on the SEF form right,regardless of whether they are good at their job or not?

And being a childminder you re on your own -you cant delegate the job to someone else!!!

I agree with you .What are the inspectors getting paid for ? especially when they are putting the fees up to silly amounts ?

suppose we ll just have to wait and see -------then panic!!!!!!!

Guest Wolfie

I've spoken to someone whose nursery took part ina pilot inspection for EYFS - she too said that much more emphasis is put on prior completion of the SEF by the setting in the new style inspection. She didn't think the inspection was too onerous though....

But in the power point recently found on their portal which I followed in this link

actually says in slide 3 notes

"There is nothing in legislation that requires the self-evaluation form to be mandatory and for this reason, as with the school self-evaluation form, Ofsted will encourage completion of the form but it will remain voluntary."

what would happen if anyone decided not to complete the form!!

Inge

n

Guest lesboyle

Ofsted inspectors have all had some initial EYFS training - about 2-3 days and have ongoing monthly training in their patch teams. The programme for inspecting the EYFS is starting to be rolled out between now and August but will be quite an in depth training programme - about 4 days in all. My advice would be to relax - they will be looking for the best outcomes for children and if that is your focus too you wont have anything to worry about! The Local authorities will let you know what to do about the SEF, try not to get too caught up with it because it hasnt even been made clear to Ofsted inspectors yet what the process will be.

Lesley

:o

But in the power point recently found on their portal which I followed in this link

actually says in slide 3 notes

"There is nothing in legislation that requires the self-evaluation form to be mandatory and for this reason, as with the school self-evaluation form, Ofsted will encourage completion of the form but it will remain voluntary."

what would happen if anyone decided not to complete the form!!

Inge

n

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)