Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Autism

I need to find out what parents rights/needs are when their child is diagnosed with Autism, can anyone point me in the right direction please??? I know that, for instance, they have the right to choose their child's school etc,speech therapy, physiotherapists, portage, opportunity groups,?respite care, but what else?? My mind has turned into a potato overnight and i need some help!!

Hi Narnia

I recently bought a magazine from WH Smith's - "The Autism File"

Typically, I haven't had chance to read it yet but it seems to have loads of parent's case studies and info for after diagnosis.

I must admit though, I got most of my best info from the National Autistic Society

Will dig around and see what else I can come up with

From my own experience, I live on the border of two counties and have worked with parents of Autistic children in both areas.

They received hugely contrasting levels of care and experiences. It really does seem to differ greatly from area to area

Also try the Early Support materials - they have a website I where you can download stuff, or you can ring them and they'll send you their booklets etc free of charge. They have a develoment file for children with autism on which parents/settings can record children's achievements as well as their developmental milestones.

Might be worth a try!

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Guest Wolfie

I'm not sure whereabouts you are but most authorities have a Parent Partnership Service available to parents of children with SEN - basically a service that supports parents throughout the educational process for their child, helping them to make decisions, giving them information about options available, accompanying and supporting at meetings with professionals, etc.

As Wolfie said (I also answered you on another site - shh) it is my understanding that all LAs must have a Parent Partnership as part of the SEN code of practice. They should be able to give you everything you need although may not speak to you only the parents. (Sorry assuming you are asking on behalf of the setting there).

Saw this and wondered if it might be of interest to you. Due out July though!

Playing, Laughing and Learning with Children on the Autism Spectrum

Julia Moor

Praise for the first edition:

'An approachable and practical edition that will be welcomed by parents and carers alike. I know how hard it can be to find "How to" resources for parents. Well here is a gem.'- Children, Young People and Families

Parents of young children newly diagnosed as on the autism spectrum are often at a loss for ideas about how best to help their child. Playing, Laughing and Learning with Children on the Autism Spectrum is not just a collection of play ideas; it shows how to break down activities into manageable stages, and looks at ways to gain a child's attention and motivation and to build on small achievements.

Each chapter covers a collection of ideas around a theme, including music, art, physical activities, playing outdoors, puzzles, turn-taking and using existing toys to create play sequences. There are also chapters on introducing reading and making the most of television. This updated second edition contains an extensive chapter on how to use the computer, the internet and the digital camera to find and make resources and activities, and suggests many suitable websites to help parents through the internet maze. The ideas are useful both for toddlers and primary age children who are still struggling with play.

£13.99

Hi there not sure how useful this will be for you , but there is a publication that may be of some help 'Information for Parents - Autistic spectrum disorder (ASD's) And related conditions its available through the DfES ref no is ES12, we also have an Autism Outreach Team within our LEA which may be able to provide you with some information if you have one also :)

Carly x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)