Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

India

Hi everyone,

I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I'm Fluffychuffnuts, I've been teaching in Reception for two years (this probably isn't the right place to introduce myself but I've never posted anything before so sorry about that!) I've been a member for a few months now and I'm always amazed at the dedication and creativity of the members but have never been brave enough to join in. So here goes ...

Next week the whole school are doing a multicultural celebration and I've been given India as my country to do a mini topic on. I'm up to my eyeballs in profiles at the moment as I know many of you are and wondered if any of you clever people had any activity ideas up your sleeves? I have only taught celebrations in the past like Divali and Holi and not a lot about India itself.

Anyway, I've done it, my first post, look forward to your replies

Fluffychuffnuts :o

Hi

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum, when we have done a topic on india in the past we have been very lucky to get a indian parent in who spent time showing the children how to put on and wear a sari we then made some traditional indian snacks and had a food tasting session, and traditional indian music.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

When we did India we read the book 'My Daddy is a Pretzel' which is a great story which talks about different children's parents' jobs and then relates them to a yoga position. We all practised the different yoga positions and the book made it very child-friendly - we had a great time - some of the children were really good at it. I had some year 1 children and they drew pictures of one another in the different positions and they talked about what their favourite positions were and why they liked them.

We also did a huge junk model of the Taj Mahal - it was not particualarly child-initiated, really, but we had parents in to help and it was a really lovely collaborative piece with the children and adults working together and both feeling really involved and motivated working at their own level - it was a lovely piece of family learning.

We listened to some music from India and watched somefilm of Indian dancing and had a go ourselves.

We also did mehndi patterns.

We were really lucky that coincidentally one of the children's dads had just returned from a trip to India and brought tons of artefacts home for us all to look - we loved trying on the jewellery and the bindis. We also got a loan of Indian clothes from the local toy library and did some dressing up.

Also Indian food.

Hope that gives you a bit of a start! :o

Emma

Hello and welcome to the forum fluffychuffnuts! :o

To add to the ideas you've already got you can also do a forum search using 'India' as your search word (top right hand corner of your screen).

Good luck for your celebration day. xD

Thanks for all your kind responses, (glad you like the name Simcity!). I'm well on the way to getting my week on India sorted out now. Incidentally, does anyone know if Elmer is an Indian or an African elephant? :o

Hi - why not try some Bollywood music - I put some on the other day for creative dance - we all had a great time using our bodies to create different moves - kids and staff had great physical workout !! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)