Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suncream!

just wondering if your settings policy requires parents to apply suncream prior to coming to the setting and you go out in the sun and the child gets sunburnt (because you thought they were covered, but parent didn't apply cream) who's responsibility is it? and regardless of responsibility the end result is that the child is sunburnt.

part of any risk assessment should include the what if the parent forgets, how would you know for sure if suncream has been administered, and what would you do if you found out it wasn't?

Peggy

Hi there,

we are just getting used to our new outdoors area and setting (moved from the Church Hall at last)!!

I discussed with staff how they felt and we all agreed we'd be gutted if a child got sunburnt. So I ask parents to;

1. put suncream on before the child attends

2 sign a form to state we can help the child apply suncream (a child would easily miss bits and struggle)

3 sign a form to say we can use our suncream if they forgot (same name and factor every year)

4 bring in a sunhat - or we will not let the child out without one as a rule

If a child can't remember if they have suncream on we look to see if we have permission and then apply if we do.

Only one with a severe skin complaint cannot use suncream (parent is a gp)

After playing outdoors the children always wash their hands before coming in, so they would have clean hands before having their snack as a rule.

Hope this helps - I think it's daft that staff cannot apply suncream to children (especially if you have two staff applying it in full view of the other staff). Ask your parents, get them to write notes in your comments book or sign a petition if you are concerned to say they want the staff to help the children administer suncream. Contact your child protection officer and speak to them - see if they can send you their written comment - then you have lots of backup for any Ofsted officer's concerns.

Most of all I'd say do what your staff and parents are happy with and get them to back you up in writing.

Best of luck

In reply to Peggy, we use the fact we ask each parent individually to sign that their child has cream on as our way of checking for those saying yes without meaning it. Even though they know the question is coming they still don't seem able to lie to us eye to eye! We have a bottle available for emergencies which we chose for its supposed safety in being hypoallergenic. We did have a child the other day where mum admitted she had forgotten. I offered the emergency cream but as mum and I knew the child had had a reaction to some cream recently we decided together not to risk it and we both spoke to the child about staying inside that session. It wasn't ideal but it worked for the day.

According to our early years advisor, yes we would be responsible if any child got burnt because the parent lied to us, but it does seem to work asking them face to face. I do agree that it doesn't take long to apply cream to a child, but the time in the setting is so short that, allowing for time for the cream to become active (some state an hour before, other 15 minutes), and the time for all children to be covered, as well as all the other care and routine tasks we need to attend to we would struggle to get outside for any usable amount of time. It isn't ideal but it seems to be working for us and as far as I can see that is all anyone can do - find a system that works at that time in that setting.

• 5 months later...
Hi There,

Can anyone help by attaching their sun safety policy for me to glance at?

Hi shellybot1 and welcome to the forum. If you read through the whole of this topic you will find other policies already attached. I also put in a link to a sample sun safety policy which you may find useful as a starting point. :o

Just a thought for your policy: on a recent First Aid Course my colleagues were advised that they should include words to the effect that we reserve the right to refuse admission to any child with sunburn until they have been seen by a doctor, as it as serious a burn as any other burn. They didn't say how parents prove that the doctor has seen them, or how much burn there needs to be etc - I shall ask when I first aid myself in a couple of weeks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)