Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Linking Schemas To Areas Of Learning

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

We record our observations of the children in files, under each of the six areas of learning. We have noticed one child displaying a very dominant schema - enveloping. Which area of learning would you record that under - or do you have a separate section in children's files to record pieces of information like that?

I'd record it seperatly but also link it within the 6 areas if you know what he's thinking about, why he's choosen particular things to envelop etc.

He might be thinking about space or the texture of things or counting to himself. Any number of things could be going on.

Not something I've thought about before, thanks for that :o

Guest Wolfie

Hmm thanks for that - as far as I'm aware, his primary occupation was the transferral of the objects, I didn't observe anything else going on.

Is there any language during such activity, either communicating with others or narrative (thoughts out loud to self) ?

Peggy

Guest Wolfie

Nope, no language. The child in question has just turned two and has Down's Syndrome - he has no language at all and very limited communication (with us) of any kind. At the last session, after having been with us for four months, he left my side for the first time - to put all the Popoids in the bin and put the chalks in a bowl! I was overjoyed! And so I'm planning activities and resources to capitalise on this. The group he attends only meets once a week, so the process of settling him has been a very slow one - this was such a step forward for him that I want to do everything I can to help him build on the success.

If you can't see anything else particularly happening, would you say that he is exploring his schema? If so, would it be relevant to put some record of it in KUW - exploration and investigation as he's exploring the world around him and how it works through using his schema?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)