Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Changes Will You Be Making?

Guest heleng

Guest heleng

I have not got my EYFS training until June and am implementing this in our school in reception, as well as supporting an NQT to implement it in the nursery. And I've only been teaching in Reception since September!!

Initially we were told there wouldn't really be any major changes as we already had good provision. Recently however we have been told there will be lots of differences and it is going to be a big change.

So, what major changes (if any) are you making to your planning, obs, provision etc to be in line with the EYFS? I have already looked at renaming our headings i.e learning intention will be development matters, assessment will be look, listen and note etc.

I have looked through the forum and would appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Helen

One of the big things in our school is that there needs to be a paediatric first aider going on outings with the children. :o The office staff are the registered first aiders and they don't go on outings, so a memeber of staff now has to be qualified.

We are not anticipating changing very much - we are a day nursery that already uses a child centred focus across the board. Just play with the children and follow their lead!!

Sue

Hopefully you shouldnt have too many changes to make and im sure the training will support you to highlight what, if anything needs to be in place.

From our local authority there has been a lot of discussion about the key worker/person role within reception and how that is carried out as it is a legal requirement that all children must be assigned one. Do you have a key worker system in place in your setting?

Paula x

I thought that for Reception the keyworker was the class teacher? I only have a small class, but I suppose if I had 30, maybe TA could also be a keyworker, but then surely teacher would still do thier assessment (Profile-type, obviously TA would be involved in observations, etc).

Quite confused...!

It is upto individual settings how they work their key worker system there is no right or wrong way and i suppose its dependant on children's needs and individual capacity. We have some schools who have the teacher as the key worker for 30 children as they dont feel they can put that responsibility onto a TA or nursery nurse but we have other schools who split the class according to need and the teacher is key worker for one group and the TA or nursery nurse is key worker for the other. Your right that it is still the teachers responsibility to complete profile etc with support of other staff so it just making sure that this is accommodated for.

I dont work in a school, these are just some examples of what people have said they do when they have attended training. The methods have been quite different however have all worked well for the setting and the individual children.

Paula x

Guest heleng

We don't currently have a key worker system in place. To be honest I will probably be the key worker for all the children as we have LSA's going in and out and not in one place all the time, and they will contribute to obs and planning (as they do now). This is actually one of the main issues that has been banded around at moderation meetings and support meetings but not actually discussed.

We are also addresing the food safety aspect and I think there are 4 of us getting this training! It just worries me slightly as we are due an OFSTED, many schools around us have been/ are being done with an FS focus and one of their main questions has been what changes are you making in preparation for the new EYFS!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just to say that my class teacher and reception teacher are both going on the 2nd pat of the new FSP in july. This does not give myself and the other nursery nurse much time to plan for september. Have you any idea how different the profiles are. Myself and the other nursery nurse have 26 profiles each to do. thanks Chrisitine x

Thats a bit unfair, asking you to work with something you havent been able to train for, hopefully your teachers will be able to give good feedback.

Dont you use the profiles towards the end of reception not at the start, or am I being dim? How would you plan for them anyway? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)