Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book Ahead Library Scheme

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

I had a meeting with the librarian at our local library today to work on ways of establishing stronger links with the Centre and she's just received a very exciting flyer from the local library service, all about the Book Ahead Scheme. It's a DCSF intiative aimed at establishing closer links between libraries and private/volutary early tears providers - nurseries, playgroups, childminders, toddler groups, etc.

Here's the website:

http://www.bookahead.org.uk/

In our area, the library is being sent 200 new books to loan out to settings in the area identified by the local library service. The library is also being asked to provide storytelling sessions, in the library if possible but otherwise within the setting. It's also going to be a good way for the library to get families to sign up the the Bookstart Bookcrawl initiative.

http://www.bookstart.co.uk/Library-profess...rary-Book-Crawl

If you haven't heard about the Book Ahead scheme already, I reckon it would be worth contacting your local library so see if your group can benefit from the initiative. :o

We got our box of books last week-24 in all. All new books some old favourites, such as Going on a bear hunt, and others which I've not heard of before. We have them until September when they will be collected and we can attend a training day about reading books and story telling and pick up our next lot of books.

We have put them in our book corner for both staff and children to use and we are having a real blitz on looking after books and treating them carefully-I would hate for them to go back absolutely wrecked but want the children to have as much access as possible. I have to say, for some weird reason, the book corner has suddenly become very popular!

Linda

We got a letter about this today taking it to the committee meeting tomorrow night. Hopefully we will be taking up the idea, it sounds great.

Guest MaryEMac

We got our box on Monday. Some old favourites in there but also some new ones. One extremely popular one is about a sheep who can't get to sleep and when he does you turn the page and you can hear him snore.

I caught sight of one of our girls sitting on a chair in the bookroom reading 'Bear Hunt' to a small group of children. She was following the pictures and getting everything in the correct order.

Mary

Guest Wolfie

Are you able to go to the library for story sessions too or are they coming to you? In our area, it's a condition of receiving the books that regular contact with the library is established too.

Guest MaryEMac

There were no conditions mentioned in our letter, but it would be nice if the library service came to us sometimes.

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)