Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Urgent Advice Please

I need some urgent advice how to update a contract.

I cannot go into to too much detail but the current one is for 3 months propationary period and I need to give a statment stating that we are giving this person a 1 month extention from tommorow until the last day of term.

I am not looking foward to this meeting at all, I just know as soon as I get in they will be buging me to ask when they will get their session with me exept that the chair will be with me too. Not that they know that yet.

Wish me luck and thanks.

Beth

If it were me, I'd write a letter which says something like "further to our meeting [put in date] I am writing to confirm that your probationary period has been extended until, put in date after which a decision will be made either to [and then give alternatives, depending upon what options are open to you - for instance you could give her a permanent contract, extend her probation, or terminate her contract, I guess]. The reasons for this are:-

Then I would list the areas of concern, and give her some targets so that she knows exactly what she needs to do in order to make her contract permanent.

Then I'd either add a sentence to say that all the terms and conditions remain the same as per her original contract, or attach a new contract for her to sign. If I didn't attach a new contract, I'd ask her to sign a copy of the letter and return it to you to show she understands and agrees.

Presumably you've taken legal advice from an employer's point of view? Having said that this is what I would do, I'd run it past an expert first!

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice Maz, I rang ACAS and gave them a simalir idea who said it was better to write a letter with targets than to update a full contract.

So another job for me to do after preschool tommorow, I am running out of days to get things done for college. Good job I am off on Thursday (polling day) oh eck just remebered another important job to do - make a notice to say when we are closed this week.

Beth

Sounds like you're settling into this job nicely Beth! :o

I am settling in nicley and according to the committee that have just stepped down that I have been doing a good job at managing the provision. Today for the first time we played outside AND had our side room open for the first time for a few months. Luckly I have been allowed to complete the rest of my coursework then I can carry on with the big task of getting preschool ready for OFSTED and of course September 2008.

Athough I am not looking forward to what is to come after session tommorrow with this practitoner.

Beth

What's happening in September then, Beth? :o

Emmmmm I small matter of......................training my staff ready for........................EYFS! Oh and other stuff to get done for example update the policies and procedures.

Beth

Guest Wolfie

Take it one step at a time Beth, don't feel pressured to get everything the way you want it stright away. Prioritise what needs doing and start with what you feel to be the most important.

With the EYFS training, you should be able to get some support and advice from your local advisors and maybe book onto some local courses?

How did the meeting go today?

It went well, the chair commented that I was capable to run preschool without her help. The staff member thought that she wasn't the problem and that others was. Both myself and the chair did really well and told her to look at her behaviour before blaming it on others.

The chair ran something simliar to ACAS and they told us that if things don't improve we can have another 1-1 with her. Together we have written a letter and she has to agree to them, knowing what needs to be resloved and what happens next.

So it is now a wait and see what happens but as this is the second 1-1 in as many months we don't hold out much hope.

Beth

Beth it sounds as if you helped them realise the job wasn't for them. Hard because you have to recruit a replacement, but at least you know you conducted yourself professionally, with dignity and according to due process.

Well done - and as Wolfie says next time you'll feel much more confidence!

Maz