Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Classroom Assistant

:o I have been a Qualified NNEB for a long time. I have only stopped working with under 5's to have my own two children. I have kept up with all the courses and have a wealth of experience. I would dearly love to broaden my experience and embark on a career to , eventually become a teaching assistant. How do I break into school. Every post I go for is taken by a parent who has done voluntary work at the school before. I need to work so can't take this route. Help!!! xD:(

hi Elle,

I'm not certain but you could be over qualified to be a TA!

Thats not to say you wouldn't make a very good one but I susect you would earn more as a NN. Is there any reason why you dont want to continue that?

How long have you been out of work, with your children?

Many reception classes are being supported by NNs.The other possibility I would think is to look at SEN TAs. I'm pretty sure you can join supply agencies for supply NN work, alternatively approach some local schools.

good luck with your search! :D

hi elle, i am also a NNEB and work as a classroom assistant, i`m afraid i`m also one of those mums! i have help out at the school since my eldest started 4yrs ago and have taken apost now that my youngest is at school fulltime.

i really enjoy working in a school and feel i am able to use my nneb within my role. it is hard if your working and can`t spare time to help out. i think schools like to employ on the job experience rather than qualifications .

consider contacting an agency,i`m sure you will be offered plenty of work ,maybe not the age etc your after but it will give you experience and a good reference.

or if there is a school you would like to work at try and offer some time. even an hour a week or a days holiday so they know your face and can see how well you work.

most of all don`t give up just keep appling!

maddy.

We are having trouble at our primary school with job titles and the related pay scales. I am a nursery nurse with 20 years experience . I also hold an advanced diploma and yet a new post has been created for a mum with only a classroom assistants qualification and yet her starting pay is only 40p per hour less than mine and i am supposed to be on top nursery nurse scale. I am sorry if this offends any classroom assistants, teaching assistants or the like but surely my 2 years full time training, continued training in my own time and 2 years part time for the advanced diloma should allow me to earn more than them!

Slightly sideways question: which publications/information place do most NNEB qualified staff use to look for jobs? We will be replacing our much loved NNEb in nursery next year and getting the advert in the right place is a good way to get good staff. I'm sure we'll use local press but not having had to do this before (both our NNEB's came through knowing the school - 1 did supply and stayed, the other was a student and stayed) i'm interested to know where you might best put an advert.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)