Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision For Small Numbers

Hi all,

Another daft question from a complete novice in early years below Y1.

Reastically, how much continuous provision would you plan for 10 children on a daily basis? There might be 12 at a time if the 2 younger Y1 children join them, (the rest of the class are Y1/2, so will access CP sometimes, but probably not on the same scale as YR).

Would you still treat the room as if you had a full class of YR, and plan for that, or would you rotate the available activities (which surely is then adult led rather than child initiated) over the course of a week?

It seems a bit of a waste of time to set up lots of activities to find that whole areas could well go unused, or is this something I'll just have to get used to?

Maybe I'd be better grouping YR and Y1 together, rather than Y1 and Y2, or at least the younger Y1s who still need access to play.

Someone please tell me that I'll get my head round this by September! I'm fast becoming a forum addict.

Edited by Guest

My continuous provision is just that continuous, I display what resources are available and possible learning opportunities and this is permanent and resources available for CIL so I don't plan for it. In my daily planning I would write down any enhancements to the areas but wouldn't write anything unless additional resources were being used. Hope that makes sense.

Gosh that was quick! Thanks Marion.

Yes, that makes sense, I think. So there might well be a construction area, or a role play area for example, with nobody in it, and everybody playing in the outdoor area? It's going to take some getting used to this.

It's a bit hard to envisage at the moment, until I get in the class and get started (still in KS2 sats mode at the moment), but I have a feeling that YR will rule the roost, somehow and I'll end up working from bottom up, if you see what I mean - I'm so excited at the chance to learn again after so long in KS2 that I can see my Y2s following the EYFS!

Going to visit a leading teacher who has mixed ages next week, and I've just heard of a Y1 teacher who runs her class along the areas of learning, so I might pop over there too. Totally out of my comfort zone, but looking forward to it :o

You say this like its a bad thing, tracylu :o

No, not at all! I'm becoming a real forum bore in the staffroom though - "Well, someone on the forum thinks..." and "I bet someone on the forum can tell me the answer to that one."

I wonder if they give commission if I get loads of people to join?! xD

Thanks again, Marion, for the link to those resources.

Hi, i have taught same 3 stage class (Yr/1/2) as you're going to have (10, 10 and 9). It's a challenge but very do-able.

I did it from reception's point of view. all 10 areas were available (not all of them were enhanced, all singing , all dancing). Y1/2 greatly benefitted from having access to this. I re-jigged the Y1/2 topics to fit/match a topic suitable for Reception also and delivered it the way it's delivered in reception (so I blocked my science for a week, history for another week, R.E for another week etc. So for instance, i taught the topic of 'light' for a week at the same time as the festivals of light etc. i did it for a full week so that the y1/2s could learn at length and depth, rather than packing up for another week (i also matched their literacy to suit etc. this was much more easy to plan, manage and resource. my lea advisor observed me and was delighted with that arrangement. Y2 SATs don't suffer at all.

Go on the lancashire grid, small schools mixed age planning and you'll find some plans for science, geog, hist for yr/1/2. they're not bad to start you off!

y1/2 are now in a seperate class, but i have made sure that their room contains areas of CP (i'm FS/KS1 co-ord) it made the transition to y1 easier!

hope this may be of some use!

Moo

Thanks Moo - you've no idea how good it is to hear someone has done that with success!

Yes, I have the bits and pieces from Lancashire (my authority, so I'm biased!), and hope to be able to make some good use of those, especially in the early days, but as we're all moving classes (we only have 3), we think it might be a good time to revamp the long term matrix anyway. Very exciting. We did trial a unit of work last summer, with the whole school planning a themed unit using the foundation stage areas of learning but I had the feeling at the time that some of the links were links for the sake of it. It was a good learning curve for me, though, and hopefully I've learnt a bit from that.

New intake evening tomorrow night - and I have to sound as if I know what I'm talking about! :o

New intake evening tomorrow night - and I have to sound as if I know what I'm talking about! :o

Good luck for tomorrow night - hope it goes well.

Good luck for tomorrow night - hope it goes well.

Thanks for that - it seemed to go well, but I did have an easy ride, as 7 out of 10 children were siblings so I already know the parents. Home visits in a couple of weeks :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)