Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Foundation Stage Classroom

I am am the Reception Teacher at a 1 form entry primary school and have just been informed by my Headteacher that I can completely redesign my classroom. I have inherited what was there before and done my best to create exciting learning areas, including developing the outdoor area, but there are constraints at present like plug sockets (only 2), storage units (old and cumbersome), etc. I have been told to forget the constraints and imagine a completely blank canvas, which is fantastic, but at the same time a bit scary! A lot of money is going to be spent and it needs to be right!

If anyone has any ideas about storage, areas, ict provision, role-play etc or if you have any advice I would be VERY grateful!!!

Liz

wow, what a wonderful opportunity to work with a blank canvas.

I don't know if this will help you, but it certainly helps me, to draw a plan of the space, putting in what can't be moved (presumably this may be doors windows, maybe radiators, sinks, etc.). Then sketch in what you think would work well where. If you are thinking fixed IWB for example, where will it go, that's a pretty big item so you'll need to decide that first.

Then what other things are relatively 'fixed' (where do you want sockets, coat racks etc). Then consider the movable units, how many, what size, what type.

I dont know if that works for you?

WOW you lucky thing! I just read your post to my husband and he suggested you contact Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen! And he thought pinks would work... :o

Other than that, Mundia's suggestion is how I would do it too. I'd also think about the flooring - the ratios of carpet and wipeable flooring. Think about in your dream world how you'd best like to plan and run your class - the different areas you want and which areas would work best next to which others for children to learn best in those areas. Let us know what you decide!

Emma (green with envy!)

Guest jane heald

I don't know where you are based but the Early Years Excellence centre in Huddersfield is great for inspiration they have a web site. They have a classroom set up at the centre and will design your space free if you spend £2000 with them.

Jay

Two things that I am desperate for in my classroom is different coloured tables and chairs and a larger 'wet' area.

At the moment there is not enough space for all the messy activities at the same time. I asked my head very nicely if I could rip up some of my carpet and he agreed. I'd also love tables in different colours with matching colour chairs. that way I can say "on the red table is the ..." and the children would know exactly where I mean!

Hope you have fun.

Hi when I started this job Iwas told I could do what I wanted with my area as well which is fantastic BUT £100 pound to do it with ha ha. They have given me a little bit more money but iI find i am spending my own money. I think getting the storage right is a priority so the children can access the things you have got. Good luck will be watching with interest

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I have downloaded the community playthings guide to room planning which looks really useful. Also just finished watching the Elizabeth Jarman video - very interesting, but not sure if I can go the whole hog and get rid of colourful classrooms although I will be more aware of what I am trying to create in the classroom. Still feel a bit stressed about spending too much money on the wrong things, but I am going to take on board all your suggestions. Also going to try and get in touch with the Huddersfield centre to get some ideas.

Thanks again, will keep you posted!

Liz x

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)