Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making Playdough

A colleague told me today that she had heard that we should no longer use salt when making playdough. Has anybody else heard this and if so, do you have any good recipes for salt-free play dough?

thanks,

Lorraine

I would take this with a pinch of salt! :o Sounds to me like a myth with no real reasoning behind it - perhaps you could find out who told her and why they thought that salt shouldn't be used?

I would take this with a pinch of salt! :o Sounds to me like a myth with no real reasoning behind it - perhaps you could find out who told her and why they thought that salt shouldn't be used?

I've not heard this either......Beau...did you no real 'seasoning' behind it xD

have spoken to another colleague who i used to work with in a private nursery. she says that they are not allowed to use salt in the dough they make for under 2's, as they eat it! they have to make a salt-free dough that has to be replaced every day.

Lorraine

I was under the impression that playdough with salt in tastes so gross that no one would eat more than a mouthful of it! (And supervision helps too...!)

While we're on the subject, does anyone use paint in their playdough rather than food colouring? If you do, does it get really sticky after about half an hour? Or could you give me a good working recipe for paint playdough? I want to make fluorescent paint!

Emma

my husband says autistic kids love salty playdough.... and pritt sticks,

we don't really have a problem with kids eating it tho it does make my hands sore when i'm kneeding it. think we'll just keep adding the salt, good preservative.

Our playdough also went really sticky when made with paint might need to experiment with different types of paint. it was very effective when we added glitter!

Lorraine

I want to make fluorescent paint!

Made this successfully for many years with ready mix fluorescent paint by replacing 1 cup full for 1 cup of the water

Made this successfully for many years with ready mix fluorescent paint by replacing 1 cup full for 1 cup of the water

So, just let me get this properly straight - sorry to be a bit thick! - but you replace 1 cup of ready mixed paint, as it is, not mixed with water, for 1 of the cups of water.

So you get through quite a lot of ready mixed paint that way... But for gorgeous playdough, I'm fine with that! (any particular ready mix paint you use? just any from one of the educational supply catalogues?)

And also - how long does your playdough last? How do you store it - airtight container? Fridge?... And the big question so as not to stress out my TA who thinks I'm messy, chaotic, risky etc etc xD : IS IT REALLY STICKY?

Thank you for helping me out here, biccy - it's almost become like my holy grail! :o

Emma x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)