Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Living Things Assembly

Hi. Im an NQT in a reception class and the class assembly is fast approaching ahhhh. We have been looking at 'Living things' so I wanted to base it around this. I would really appreciate any ideas, songs etc. Thanks :o

Hi. Im an NQT in a reception class and the class assembly is fast approaching ahhhh. We have been looking at 'Living things' so I wanted to base it around this. I would really appreciate any ideas, songs etc. Thanks :o

Hello, when i return on Monday we are starting a new topic on Growth. Perhaps you could base it losely around Jack and the Beanstalk or The Enormous Turnip. Disuss what factors are needed for healthy growth through role play and lots of props and paper mache objects. Perhaps emaphasising that humans/animals/plants all need care and attention in order to grow!

I'll keep my eye posted on this as i think i maybe able to steal some ideas.

Have fun

What about 'There's a tiny caterpillar on a leaf' song. Always goes down well and v easy to sing! Also there's an Enormous Turnip rap in one of those A&C Black books - I think its 3 singing pigs - could check for you when I go to school Monday if you like. :o

Yeh that wpuld be great thanks. As its my first assembly I dont quite know what is expected. Is it ok to act out a story, show some work and sing a few songs????

Yeh that wpuld be great thanks. As its my first assembly I dont quite know what is expected. Is it ok to act out a story, show some work and sing a few songs????

Will find the book and song for you tomorrow ehathaway.

Different schools seem to have different expectations for assemblies but acting out a story, showing work and singing songs sounds great to me - I think the main thing is not to stress yourself out about it. Easier said than done, though! :o

Emma

Hi ehathaway, sorry - Monday and Tuesday were a little manic and I totally forgot - but here it is. Its from Three Singing Pigs by Kaye Umansky and is sung to the tune of Ten in the Bed.:

There's a great big turnip

At the bottom of the field,

I'll get it!

See my muscles!

I pushed and pulled

But I couldn't get it out,

I pushed and pulled

And I gave a little shout,

Come here, wife!

How's your muscles?

My wife came up

But she couldn't get it out,

We pushed and pulled

And we gave a little shout,

Come here, girl!

How's your muscles?

The girl came up...

Come here, boy!

The boy came up....

....Come here dog

The dog etc - come here cat

The cat etc - come here mouse

The mouse came up

And pulled it out, (HOORAY!)

We patted it on the back

And we gave a little shout,

Well done mouse!

Great muscles!

Kind of repetitve, but it serves a purpose! :o

Emma

Hi

Emmajess's song sounds good - that way you get quite a long play type affair out of the whole class without having too many words to learn.

If you have a projector flash up pics of children doing work on the topic - then some children who would like to can say a sentence about what they did or learnt.

I'm not sure if you covered plants in your topic but if you did you might also get a few to to show plants they've grown and say what they did to make them grow.

("First we dug a hole" "Then we put the seed in") that kind of thing.

Hope it all goes well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)