Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You Document Children's Progress ?

surfer

I am trying to put in place documentation of children's progress for children attending the stay and play sessions and creches at the centre. We want to share and involve the parents with this too. i have some ideas about it but would be grateful to hear of others ideas?

As someone who has absolutely no understanding of how Chidlren's Centres work - can you explain what a 'stay and play' session involves (I think I understand what a creche is :o )

Maz

I'm not 100% sure of what 'stay and play' sessions are exactly so forgive if I'm talking absolute twaddle and it's not relevant to you :o

Could you perhaps use a folder for each child - you know the ones with clear sleeves inside. Have a front page that gives personal details about the child - the parents could complete this.

Maybe a page for a handprint, details of their family, favourite things etc etc (again that the parents could fill in)

And then a page for each area of learning with either a written note or a photo of them taking part in an activity as evidence.

I've attached a few pages of what I use for children up to school age....like I said not sure if it's the kind of thing you're on about

PLAY_LEARN_GROW_ASSESSMENT.doc

Thanks for those ideas - my difficulty is that the Stay and Play sessions (some people call them mother and toddler) can have up to 25 children - not all of them come every week - they are aged between birth and 3 years old. Gathhering evidence of progress for this many children who only come maybe for an hour and ahalf each week is quite a difficult task so the ideas have to be simple and manageable.

Guest Wolfie

Hi surfer

I'm in a Children's Centre and have also been thinking about the way in which we observe and document children's progress. I have already implemented a system in our full daycare nursery but felt that I wanted a Centre approach, rather than just nursery - I consulted our early years and creche workers and they all agreed that a system was needed that was consistent across all groups. So I've implemented the nursery system - planned and spontaneous observations, assessments and planning of "next steps" - for all creche groups at the Centre. As you say, Stay and Play sessions/play in the home sessions, etc. are a bit trickier because the contact time is much less, but the principles remain the same and the opportunities to work in partnership with parents/carers to document progress are much better! So we're going to give it a go at these groups too and see what happens! :o

I was thinking about this too - some children come fairly regularly and other's dont. I am tieing these up with the community nursery nurses who do the 2 half year check. Pretty simple stuff like attachment, communication, willing to get involved and personal and social issues. I am cponcentrating my areas that link back to the FS profile points where the children at my school are under achieving. I thought I might use the caterpillar that someone did on her or seomthing similar - not too long as you say we don't have the time with all the parents in

If anyone can helpo me find that caterpillar I would be most grateful.

NIkki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)