Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Appropriate Clothing For Outdoor Play?

My school has a fairly strict uniform policy - (shirts, ties, skirts etc). The girls can wear trousers, but parents tend to opt for skirts. We're in a very exposed area - fields all round and plenty of icy winds! What do you do in terms of outdoor activities if you have a similar uniform? Do you ask parents to provide tracky bottoms or similar in the way you would a PE kit or do you just put up with it to keep the free movement between outdoors/indoors as smooth as possible? I'd love to keep the reception year "uniform free" if I could, but don't think I'd get away with it :)

Our children wear t-shirts, jumpers, cardigans and trousers or skirts... we also sell fleecy rain jackets with the school logo.

For outdoor play in Reception we have waterproof trusers and jackets about 20 sets and wellies that have been donated. Although this does not cater for all the children in one go it means we can have access to outdoor play the whole year round. Children and parents are encouraged to send children with suitable coats and wellies if its wet....

We do have times when children get really wet but then thats how they learn...... They then can change into their PE kits whilst their clothes dries on the radiators or w have a limited supply of spare uniform.... but I think it's all part of being a child and realising that if you go out in the pooring rain you are going to get wet.... and what to do when you come in.

L

Perhaps you could suggest that given the active nature of the FS curriculum that ties present a risk and a modified uniform might be more appropriate. My children wear polo shirts and sweatshirts in school colours and either trousers or skirt and we provide pull on waterproof trousers for outdoors.

hello ladies (and gents?!) I am new to this forum, but have been totally inspired and delighted with the information held & shared here...so i'd like to ask for advice...where can I get waterproof coats & trousers for 3-4 year olds that are a reasonable price? i have been looking since september and i'm nearly at my whits end...most cost £15-25 but we only have £80 in our burget and would like to get as much as possible that is good quality. thanks in advance for any advice xx

Went to visit a friend in Helsinki at Easter. All the childen played outside dressed in all in one suits (like ski wear) with woolly hats and gloves. They play outside in all weathers down to minus 8!!! I saw 2 and 3 year olds digging in the sand/snow with buckets and spades and it was 2 degrees with a wind chill of zero!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)