Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Need A Hug

Sue R

Sue, have a fantastic time in Cornwall, and i'm so glad that your mum is feeling better and improving all the time :) I have yet to vist the eden project, that along with going to the Tate Modern are on my summer list of things to do.

Enjoy your break :)

Trea xxxx

Sue, hope you have a great break, you deserve it.

When my Mum was first on the mend, her speech was quite incoherent, except when the nurse she took a dislike to walked through the ward, when she would clearly say in a very loud voice "****** old cow!!"

It does seem funny looking back!!!!

On the Dad front, he has had another!!! fall, his sense of balance is really non exsistent now. I have just bought him a new walking stick but this did not seem to help.

Remember the image of a poor beetle lying on its back struggling to get back on it's feet! while I go on.

My Dad was walking to his car, and parked on the pavement was a motorbike. He had to get off the kerb (a trial in itself) and cross the sleeping policeman in the carpark. Unfortunately he got up the sleeping policeman and took a bit of a panic and got stuck. The more he panicked the harder it was for him to get off. The result was that he tried and fell flat on his nose, this is when he did the beetle!!!!!

Now he has a broken nose, and a really scuffed face, really handy when going through American customs in 10 days.

He almost looks like one of the KRAYS!!!!!!!

I think if I didn't laugh I might just cry!!!

All the best Sue

Janet

You certainly do have to be optimistic in this life!!!!!

The things that have happened in my families life in the past 2 1/2 years is unbelievable, I think my luck must be about to change!!!!!!!!

It has to!!!!!

Even my son keeps telling me to "Always look on the bright side" He is 11years old and dealt with so much death recently that his class teacher had to phone me at work a while ago beacuse my son found it difficult because everyone around him dying, and he could not deal with it!!!!!

As a partnership we have dealt with it (having done parent sessions, and even swimming and PE sessions I have a very close relationship with his school)

We have worked so closely, building his confidence, beliefs in a "better place" and such, that this year he was elected as school council chairman and won the citizenship trpohy for his compassionate and understanding approach to all of the pupils.

I must be doing something right!!!!!!

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Back from hols, refreshed etc.

Jan - have a big, just-back-from-the-seaside hug from me. Hope your dad is feeling better!

Had a lovely welcome home pressie! When I got to the hospital, Mum was sooo much improved. her speech is much clearer, she is moving her bad leg well now (still nothing in that right arm, though) and being really positive. :D She is teaching herself to write left-handed - at 79!!!!! :o It was her birthday on the 19th, and they had a whole ward party!! Wish I'd been there!

Just keeping you all posted xD

Sue :D

• 2 weeks later...

Really good news!!!!!

Dad's 80th birthday was the scene of what we've all been waiting for! Mum wrote his card left-handed (He showed me with tears in his eyes), and our little celebration for him in the day room was complete, as Mum has begun to have pins and needles in the right arm and hand. Physios are now really working her hard with that!! :D:o:D

They are talking about her going home late August, early September :D

Thank you all so much for your support!

Sue :D

The small positive steps in life are so encouraging, reading about your experience has certainly but my woes into perspective.

p.s. Happy 80th to your dad.

Peggy

Sue, only just read about your mum. Glad to hear that she is recovering well and will be home soon. It's times like these when you have to remember to live life to the full and treasure every moment. Like you said, you don't realise how vulnerable we all are until something happens to challenge that. 2 young people that I was aquainted with died this summer in seperate accidents, it is shocking and makes you re-evaluate things. Glad that things are progressing positively for your mum, I am sure that this experience will make your togetherness even stronger.

Here's a belated hug from me and keeping my fingers crossed that your mum will return home soon.

Great news about your mum.

Have missed any updates through being on holiday too!!

By golly what a time we've had!!!!!!

Pre-booked baby and child airline meals that didn't arrive, adjoining and guaranteed hotel rooms that were 5 floors apart, and a "starsky and Hutch extra" driving the minibus!!!!

Having said that having my dad in a wheelchair was a godsend!!!! Not only did we get to the front of most of the ride queues but we went behind the scenes to get to them. We have seen parts of Disneyland you can only dream about, they really know how to look after people in the theme parks (US).

We did however lose my parents at Gatwick and LA airports, and even when we found them my mum was too "mortified" to tell us where she had been and although dad was keen to share his ordeal, his speech is failing and we are still not quite sure what happened to them!!!!!!

We have deided o get Dad a wheelchair now that he is home to use when he needs it.

Hope you mum continues to improve, it's lots of very small steps, but each one a milestone!!!!!!

Janet

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Janet - and very interesting reading, too, your holiday exploits!!

As you have all been so lovely and supportive, I thought I'd share this latest gem.....

(Forgive the theatrics!)

Mum is expected to go home in three weeks! We are all so happy. Things aren't quite as we might have hoped, but near enough. They are getting lots of support from the professionals, including the Occupational Therapist taking Mum on a 'visit' (to her own home!) to discuss with her and Dad what changes may be necessary in their bungalow. Mum isn't quite as euphoric as me, though. Stoic is more the word I'd use. "Anything could happen. I'm not getting excited yet, plenty of time for that in the car on the day" Bless.

Thought you'd like to know

Sue :D Thank you all so much xx