Jump to content
About Us

Calling An Ambulance


Recommended Posts



Today we had a very poorly child in our setting! The child aged 3 became floppy and was very hot etc. We stripped some layers off him and put a cold compress on his head and he seemed to perk up. Luckily it was time for parents to collect their children when it happened, mum came in and we advised her to take him straight to the doctors, As she was preparing to leave, he vomiteed and became floppy again. He looked so pale and poorly that we decided tgo call an ambulance. (They were brillant, they came within 3 minutes!!) Anyway to cut a long story short, the child went to hospital but he was back home within an hour and half as the hospital could find nothing wrong!!!?? Anyway, I am waffling but where do we record this information? In the incident book? (made notes at the time but obviously due to the drama etc have yet to place it anywhere!)


I have never had to deal with anything like this before and wonder do we also have to inform Ofsted?


When things like this happen it really does bring home how much of a huge responsibility we all hold in looking after children!!!


Here's hoping tomorrow is a quieter less stressfull day!!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Jenni

I would record it all in your accident/incident book.

As to informing OFSTED as he was sent home with "nothing" wrong there doesn't seem to be any implications for other children. I would think you don't need to take it any further.

Thank goodness he was ok-must have been a relief for everybody.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

i would err on the side of caution and ring Ofsted for advice....................just in case.There have been many cases of children being sent home 'ok', and then being found to have something wrong.It just covers all the bases if you have contacted them???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have always been advised to complete a RIDDOR if a child goes to hospital from nursery - whether this be with us or with their carers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a specific form to record a child going to hospitl from the setting which is completed parents sign receive a copy a copy is kept at the setting and a copy is sent to Ofsted. We only complete a RIDDOR form if the child is taken to hospital due to an injury accident as stated by the HSE Riddor should

What is RIDDOR?

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), place a legal duty on: employers;

self-employed people; people in control of premises; to report work-related deaths, major injuries or over-three-day injuries, work related diseases, and dangerous occurrences (near miss accidents). The easiest way to do this is by calling the Incident Contact Centre (ICC) on 0845 300 99 23 (local rate). You will be sent a copy of the information recorded and you will be able to correct any errors or omissions.

the riddor website is below


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done on erring on the side of caution and ringing for an ambulance.

I would record in accident/incident book, get parent signiture, including details of hospital outcome.

\I would phone Ofsted, as Narnia says, cover bases, only costs a phone call.

I don't think RIDDOR is required but Bell06 info is very useful for future reference.


Hope the lad is well soon/fully recovered and I am sure mum has renewed faith in your settings abilities to deal with such a health situation by the fact that you took his health concerns seriously.


I'm curious did it end up to be a slight febral convulsion - floppyness etc ( common in this age range with a temperature) or just a fever/bug?


Tomorrow is another day and now you know you can handle this type of possible emergency. :o




Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)