Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs In Independent Schools

Hi. I'm new to this forum and have been searching for any information about how the EYFS will affect Reception classes in Independent schools. We have had no training from our local authority yet and having read the statutory framework there are a couple of things that i am not sure about and was hoping that someone here could help me?

Am I correct in thinking that whilst Reception classes in maintained schools should have a ratio of 1 teacher to every 30 children, in an Independent school we must have a ratio of 1 teacher to every 13 children plus a level 3 qualified Nursery Nurse? This ratio would cause us difficulty.

My other question is about the Nursery Nurse. Is the old qualification of NNEB (awarded in 1982) the same as a level 3?

My last question is this: Will it be compulsory for all Independent schools to follow the EYFS from September even if they do not recieve any funding?

I hope someone can help me with these questions. We sometimes feel out of touch and cut off in the Independent school sector and this forum has proved to be really valuable.

Thank you. :o

Hi Ugotoo

Welcome to the forum i am sure you will fnd it a mine of information. I can not answer all your questions but i am sure someone who can will be along soon. With answer to the NNEB this is an acceptable level 3 qualification the only difference is that with certain NNEB years of qualification then extra training to supervise a baby room is advised but i am not sure what the years are off the top of my head.

were you aware that Ofsted are no longer going to inspect independent schools from Sept 08 see below.

Inspection of early years

We are pleased to be able to confirm that the inspection of early years settings (for children under 5 years of age) in ISC schools will come under ISI from September 2008 and we will be in touch over the coming months about the implications for schools being inspected. Details of how this will be organised will be made available as soon as possible, and pilot inspections will be taking place in the Spring and Summer terms. This expansion of remit has been approved by Ministers at DCSF.

Schools are reminded that all provision for pupils under the age of three, for “wraparound” care and for holiday clubs must continue to be registered with Ofsted who retain regulatory authority for these.

Hi Ugotoo,

The EYFS is a requirement of independant schools also, regardless of wether they receive funding or not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)