Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Area

Hello,

I am thinking of changing the layout of my writing area to entice a few more of the boys inside. I saw a brief video on Teachers TV where a school has converted their writing area into a car. Has anyone else done this? If so, have you got any hints or tips on how to get started? Would you let the children design and make it?

Glittery :-)

Hi Glittery

We haven't changed ours into a car, but to encourage the boys we have writing tool boxes, small tool boxes from the pound shop, with loads of different writing implements ie pencils, pens, felts, chalks, white board markers etc and note pads, small clip boards, paper, carbon paper, graph paper, and white boards (laminated white cards A5 so they can be rolled up).

The boys seem to love it. They can be used indoors or out (mostly out though) and transported where ever they go. May be able to incorporate them in your car!

Hi Glittery

We haven't changed ours into a car, but to encourage the boys we have writing tool boxes, small tool boxes from the pound shop, with loads of different writing implements ie pencils, pens, felts, chalks, white board markers etc and note pads, small clip boards, paper, carbon paper, graph paper, and white boards (laminated white cards A5 so they can be rolled up).

The boys seem to love it. They can be used indoors or out (mostly out though) and transported where ever they go. May be able to incorporate them in your car!

Thak you Shiny this is a fabulous idea :-)

I have found that clipboard work well for the boys - Im off to the poundshop to buy some tool boxes tuesday and will try la,inating paper as all the children in our setting boys and girls love to roll up paper.

smiles

Writing ledges are good especially outside so that boys can write standing up. Also allow them to write on the floor, some of the most productive mark marking from boys has been when they have been sprawled across the floor.

We have 'mark making' area but we also have clipboards and mark making equipment in all other areas.Small construction (which has a selection of cars/aeroplanes/walls/hedges/roadsigns/books) is a common place to find boys on their tummies mark making.

Our biggest mark making at the moment is 'taking the register' with a clipboard :o lots of parents have complained about having to resond to 'Good morning ****' 300 times a day.We take our register on the move approaching children at play so the children are doing the same wandering around with a clipboard and pens saying 'Good morning Fred' and waiting for a responce before making a 'mark'!! Must be spilling over into role play at home.

We are current involved with an LEA project to boost boys literacy.We been provided with lots of items for 'boys' mostly to do with outside play-many of the items we have been given are from Early Excellance Centre at Huddersfield and laminated items from sparkle box.

Edited by Guest

I use clip boards to encourage my boys to write around small world and role play

Its a constant dilema as to the best approach as I've set a writing area up with what I thought was stimulating prompts but they still avoid it!

I also use timers to ensure they don't just role play their story and they actually write something down. They soon get used to it and the others will comment on those who miuse the system :o

Next term we're having Roving Reporter pads and then Personal Diaries as we are covering the Olympics

QUOTE We are current involved with an LEA project to boost boys literacy.We been provided with lots of items for 'boys' mostly to do with outside play-many of the items we have been given are from Early Excellance Centre at Huddersfield and laminated items from sparkle box.

UNQUOTE

Biccy, I would love to know more about this. What sort of outside play items have you got and what sort of things are laminated? Are you finding these things useful and are stimulating your boys?

So many questions - always was a nosey sort!

A Teacher from one of the Children's centres as been seconded a day a week to help support settings.She's worked with our reception class teachers and been into nursery.Reception received a lot of dinosaur/wild animal items.She's advising on provision but we were already doing well :o .We've received builders tray, clip boards, white boards, selection of 'boyish' non-fiction, lots of stationery items-postit notes, pens etc hole punchers, small tool boxes so mark marking is portable inside and out, a set of pirate stuff-wooden boats, figures, treasure chest (I think the pirate are from EEC), bits for small world-road signs etc

The laminated stuff is number plates, garage proforma's, road signs, postcards, photo's of cars and engines-mostly from sparkle box but its not our ink, laminating pouches or time :( .Loads more stuff I can't remember.Most of it is 'transport' related and thats our summer learning word xD so expect to roll this out big style then.

There's a lot of money being plowed into this we just wish we could have had more of an input into what was bought to avoid duplicating resources we already have :( and we know where we want to address things but have not had the funds to do so.She's coming back to see how we are using the resources we have been given.

Never look a gift horse and all that-its wonderful to receive these stimulating items.

Guest Carla1
Hello,

I am thinking of changing the layout of my writing area to entice a few more of the boys inside. I saw a brief video on Teachers TV where a school has converted their writing area into a car. Has anyone else done this? If so, have you got any hints or tips on how to get started? Would you let the children design and make it?

Glittery :-)

Hi

I put large pieces of paper, road maps, cars etc in the writing area and the boys loved it.

Carla

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)