Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Free Flow

Anyone got any suggestions/ideas how I can track 39 children with free flow. We have 3 members of staff. Thank you for any advice.

In my reception class children find their name on a laminated tick list and tick off when they have been in area/completed activity. This way I can monitor who has been where and the children really enjoy finding their own names. Have also seen a system where children have learning passports(!) which are stampted off with a different coloured/shaped stamp when they visit a certain area of learning - this was in a large fs unit.

actually- you are spot on there Susan- nothing to do with the children, more to do with a sceptical staff member who is convinced that free flow= anarchy and "they wouldn't get anything done- how would we know what they'd done if a parent asked us?"

we track by tallying once in am once in pm, on A4 paper with names in grid,put in each area. Leave it for 3/4 weeks and you have a good overview( doesn't matter too much if you miss one session) of how the children are using setting, and can plan for learning, especially for those who prefer just one area, you can move focus into that for them.Also see which area is unpopular! Our maths area was not visited often so we added to it and used it for focus to encourage more children in there.

good for Ofsted too, my friend's school was recently put in special measures and one of the problems was no tracking.

But it's only useful ifit is a real tool, no point just for the sake of it! It works for us tho :o

we track by tallying once in am once in pm, on A4 paper with names in grid,put in each area.

I like this idea very much - would provide really good information for those parents who want to know who their child plays with, what they play with and generally what they do at pre-school. :o

As you say - its only useful if you use it though - nothing worse than spending a lot of time filling in the paperwork only to 'file' it unread at some lager stage...

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)