Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Use Of Ta's In Rec And Y1

We may have a dilemma in our school next year - so just wondered what you would do. Our intake for next year is likely to be small ie. two classes of 17 !!! Each class will have a full time TA xD - however with such small classes I have suggested that one of the TA's goes and supports Y1 in the afternoon who will have 56 children in and support these classes as there are going to be some SEN children who really will need extra support to access the curriculum. This would leave us with 1 TA and 2 teachers for 34 children in Reception - Personally I'm happy I think with this and can see the benefits for Y1 who are trying to create a more creative curriculum for their children especially in the afternoon but worried if we give one of our TAs up we may regret it :o it's all up in the air at the moment - but any opinions and advice would be welcomed.

Edited by suebee

I think if the year 1 need the help it would be good for them.

We have 24 reception and no TA so the ratio you describe would be fantastic. :o

The extra opportunities you can provide will be excellent with a ratio of 1-9.

As long as the staff are aware if numbers increase next year you could have the T A back.

Good luck

think it sounds like a good compromise and good for Y1 children to have that extra support P.M. As other poster said, 3 staff and 34 children gives you quite an enviable ratio anyway, -our R have 45 children and 1 T and 2.5 TA's,but I suppose the danger is that if any R children leave as the year goes on and you have given TA time once, you might be expected to give it again? Difficult one- you don't want to be selfish, but you don't want SMT to think that your children are not benefitting from the staffing ratios.

Good luck.

As your Ta will be morning based go for more focussed adult activities then allow the children their self intiated time in the afternoons to (hopefully!) consolidate their learning

The Y1's will appreciate the extra support especially if they are going for more play based learning environment which we are being encouraged to give them as transition is now within that year.

All chilldren have their special needs and appreciate the time and freedom to develop thier skills from the knowledge they have been given

Given that the legal reception ratio is 1:30 you are exceptionally well staffed even when the TA goes to Yr1!! Additional staffing needs to be flexible in the Primary phase and should be based on needs of cohorts so your SMT is right to provide that support for those children I think. It would be unjustifiable in terms of budget to employ another adult when there is techncally surplus elsewhere - I'm sure the governors finance commitee would have something to say about it!

Cx.

Mozart,

How do you manage to just have 1 teacher for 45 children? I thought legally there had to be 1:30 in reception?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)