Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How 'gay' Became Children's Insult Of Choice

HappyMaz

I've just been reading all the gory details of the McCartney's divorce settlement on the BBC news website (why do I bother when I have so many more worthwhile things to do??).

Anyway, I found an article about some research done into the prevalence of the word 'gay' being used as an insult amongst children these days. It drives me mad - I've even heard my eleven year old begin to use it. xD

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7289390.stm

Its quite a long article - and does list some of the other nasty words I hate to hear people using about one another - but it is quite interesting.

Whenever I've challenged my teenagers about the use of the word, they always maintain that it isn't about someone's sexuality, but is used to denote weakness or stupidity. I always doubted this - I worry about the teenager who thinks s/he might be gay and has to hear the term used in such perjorative way.

Yet, the ATL who have done the survey have reached that conclusion, apparently. So they were right all along. Doh! I hate it when that happens :o

Maz

I've had an incident today where a child made another child cry so he called him 'a big wuss'.In discussion it emerged its said in 'Open Season' DVD so 'that makes it alright!!'

My lads have used 'gay' to describe something going wrong, something stupid, something silly, their dad if they are asked to do something they dont want to, a menu running out of their favourite pudding, my cat when she pounces on one of theirs...the list is endless, but they dont use it to insult someones sexuality.

Before homosexuals used the word it belong to Enid Blyton, it has now passed to the next generation for their own use.

Yep had to chat to my children about the use of it, and they defended themselves by saying "Everyone says it, it doesn't mean your gay"

It drives me mad and after my most recent rant my children will not be using it anymore, well not in my earshot! :o

Just told my 15 year old about this, I asked him what word would be used as a derogatory term for a homosexual, he said the word is 'Queer'.

17 year old said when they are describing someones sexuality they say 'literally gay'. But even then its used to actually describe a fact and not to offend or bully.

Arent teenagers confusing? :o

My sixteen year old said if someone is gay they are 'bent' - I am outraged!!!!!!!!!

That's a word that would have used in my young days - as a polite way of referring to a gay man's sexuality!

Yep same here.....my 11 year old & 14 year old use the word 'gay' to describe the same things as Rea. They also use the word 'sick' when actually they mean something is good or wicked!!!!

In my day it was Ginger, or Ginge (ginger beer - queer) - how would that go down now, with the increase in redheads!

My son and daughter frequently sling this at each other (25 and 27) - it's almost an endearment !!

I was once described as 'gay' in an annual report - by the time my boss had justified himself to me, telling me it was because I was light hearted and fun, I felt REALLY insulted - like some fluffy airhead :o I would have understood from context - he was an old fogey! (about the age I am now, but I was in my early 20s then xD )

Sue

:o very informative - my 13 year old is sick of being told not to use "gay" for all the reasons Rea listed and more! I wish someone would print a teenage - parent phrasebook!! xD

:o very informative - my 13 year old is sick of being told not to use "gay" for all the reasons Rea listed and more! I wish someone would print a teenage - parent phrasebook!! xD

Someone did - a teenage girl sold the rights for a few thousand pounds, I think. Some publishing company is making a fortune out of her hard work now. Mind you, I didn't understand what she was saying at all. Signs of ageing, I guess...

Maz