Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wow Writing

I would like to introduce wow writing in my Rec class after Easter but was wondering how other people organise it, or could share a few ideas. Up until this point we have had lively discussions and chidlren have contributed by giving me a wow word and the words have been put on our 'wow word' wall. The next step is for them to write it down.

I would like to introduce wow writing in my Rec class after Easter but was wondering how other people organise it, or could share a few ideas. Up until this point we have had lively discussions and chidlren have contributed by giving me a wow word and the words have been put on our 'wow word' wall. The next step is for them to write it down.

And for those of us who are not in school settings - what does WOW mean? Sounds very exciting!

Maz

There have been many posts based on 'wow' writing before. Search for Ros Wilson, and Big Writing. Too long to explain the full details (best to look it up). Basically , 'wow' writing is about making writing special. Ideas include dimming the lights, playing Mozart, lighting scented candles, hence creating a mood.The children are encouraged to think of 'wow' words in their piece of writing and then you celebrate this as a whole class. In a previous post one teacher commented on how a child read out a piece of wow writing and the teacher then put their hands by their side,wiggling fingers slowly up and up whilst beginning to make the sound wow, wwwwwwwwow!!. The whole class join in and give a round of applause. Other teachers might let the children use 'special' pens, in gold or silver, ones with feathers on!! and display the childrens' work on the 'wow' board which could be decorated with gold and silver, have curtains, etc. etc.

I know most people don't use/visit other forums but this is the BIG WRITING (wow) forum for anyone interested http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/forum/index.php

We start off with BIG TALK and the story is recorded by an adult either written taped or videoed then progress onto BIG Writing. We involve parents/grandparents by sending home the subject of our next Big Write and ask them to contribute WOW words for the children to use.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)