Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Member With Attitude

Hi

I have a bit of a problem with a member of staff who at times is displaying an attitude problem which is mostly directed at me. I have sat down and had a one-to-one session with her to establish what the reasons were and basically because she is a mod app, she thought she shouldn't have to do what the other staff do and that i expect too much of her as other students don't aparently do half of what she does. She has now been with me for a year and a half and is training for her level 3. She doesn't always carry out her duties and i catch her many times not interacting with the children.

Prior to her attitude, she was actually a good member of staff.

After i had a one-to-one with her, her performance picked up and at her review, she said she was happy enough.

However, last week i was greeted with attitude and this time she rubbed my deputy up the wrong way and was threatening to walk out.

All of my staff are really lovely and hard working and she can be when she wants to be.

I had decided to give her a disciplinary, but i wanted to make sure i followed the correct procedure. The day after she was really nice which made it really awkward to tackle her about it. Do you think it's too late to confront her about it, or would you still go ahead with some form of disiplinary. I have a procedure, but when i looked, it's really long winded. Would there be any chance of me taking a look at what somebody else's is like. Mine's just lifted from the pre-school learning alliance.

I actually think i am quite a fair person with staff and i always show my appreciation, but i think i probably need to toughen up a bit!

Deb

You say she is a modern apprentice - have you discussed this with her training agency? They may have similar difficulties, so you can work a strategy out between you? If they don't, it would suggest it's something internal to the setting, so you may need to review all your practice with staff who are training?

Sorry, not trying to make you more work, just a few thoughts.

Sue

Sorry no great words of wisdom for you except I feel for you, this sort of attitude can really affect a team if you are not careful, has a knock on effect, you need to nip it in the bud - I don't thihk it is too long after the event to tackle it, if you don't it may happen again :o - I empathise I am not tough at all - makes it doubly difficult to deal with things like this doesn't it?

i think our procedure is pretty long winded too, I will have a look and get back to you.

keep smiling xD:(:(:(

we have had this problem in the past and unfortunatly you have to stick to whatever is in your policies - (we have changed ours since!!!!) just keep to the day and get it done as fast as you can!!!! - good luck :o

You say she is a modern apprentice - have you discussed this with her training agency? They may have similar difficulties, so you can work a strategy out between you? If they don't, it would suggest it's something internal to the setting, so you may need to review all your practice with staff who are training?

Sorry, not trying to make you more work, just a few thoughts.

Sue

Thanks for replies. I have discussed with her tutors about her attitude. They actually contacted me as they were experiencing the same thing. I think i may need to be more specific on what conduct is acceptable/not acceptable by writing a policy which i will go through individually with each staff member. At least if theres a policy, i will have something to back up any conflicts.

Will have a sit down chat with her. Do you think it warrants a verbal warning? Think i may give ACAS a ring.

Thanks

Hi Debs,

I know what you mean!

If you go on the ACAS website there is a pamphlet you can access about disciplinary procedures. Whateve you do, read it with your committee or whoever is at your level to support and ask questions well in advance.

We held a disciplinary and the person who was at the centre of it bought along a strong character who took over the meeting and mediated for her - he was from a union, but was not representing her as such (friends hubby). We were lucky, she resigned not long after, but there are certian things you should bear in mind such as your view and the view of ACAS -they may see your staff's point of view - anyway, get the booklet and read.

Also, your first point is to issue a warning, then a second and then take it further - you need this clear in your head as the law seems to protect staff alot.

Mine wore 6 inch stilettos and still answered back stating it was ok as she was off for lunch! Acas point of view-well maybe we hadn't made the dress code clear or there were problems with the staff's state of mind - I'd have to agree on that!

If you do speak to ACAS ensure you take the full name of the person you are speaking to, the date and time and make clear notes-just like speaking to Ofsted!

Good luck - thinking of you x

Just a thought, you say she used to be a good member of staff. Also some days good some not, although not an excuse, could there be hormonal or medical issues, ie: depression / stress.

I would have a chat again, but in the context of asking her why she thinks she behaves like this ( being a mod apprentice is not a good enough reason), and what does she think she needs as support to enable her to get back to how she was previously. tate clearly at the end of the chat that behaviour codes, ie: appropriatte ways to air grievance (ie: disagreement with deputy) must be adhered to and that disciplinary, verbal and written warnings will be given the very next time inappropriate behaviour occurs.

Minute this chat and get her to sign it. maybe this will help her see that this is serious, needs nipping in the bud, that you are there to support her but you can't do this unless she points out 'specifically' what her problem is / problems are and finally that this is the last 'gentle' warning for her to improve.

Peggy

• 1 month later...
Hi

I have a bit of a problem with a member of staff who at times is displaying an attitude problem which is mostly directed at me. I have sat down and had a one-to-one session with her to establish what the reasons were and basically because she is a mod app, she thought she shouldn't have to do what the other staff do and that i expect too much of her as other students don't aparently do half of what she does. She has now been with me for a year and a half and is training for her level 3. She doesn't always carry out her duties and i catch her many times not interacting with the children.

Prior to her attitude, she was actually a good member of staff.

After i had a one-to-one with her, her performance picked up and at her review, she said she was happy enough.

However, last week i was greeted with attitude and this time she rubbed my deputy up the wrong way and was threatening to walk out.

All of my staff are really lovely and hard working and she can be when she wants to be.

I had decided to give her a disciplinary, but i wanted to make sure i followed the correct procedure. The day after she was really nice which made it really awkward to tackle her about it. Do you think it's too late to confront her about it, or would you still go ahead with some form of disiplinary. I have a procedure, but when i looked, it's really long winded. Would there be any chance of me taking a look at what somebody else's is like. Mine's just lifted from the pre-school learning alliance.

I actually think i am quite a fair person with staff and i always show my appreciation, but i think i probably need to toughen up a bit!

Deb

You say there is a difference between what your staff member expects to do and what she thinks you are expecting of her. Should the expectations have been made clear before her contract with you and should they be in writing? Is this the responsibility of your setting's management to sort this at the commencement of a contract/training period? The use of the word 'attitude' is a difficult one because it could simply be that expectations aren't clear and that she doesn't know how to handle it or feels that she isn't being heard. Perhaps you could agree as to her exact duties and record this in writing for you both to have copies. Then give her support in carrying out these duties, and it sounds as if you're very capable of supporting her, with an agreed way forward for airing grievances from both sides in the future in a professional manner. Always look at and feedback on the most positive aspects of each individual's work so that everyone feels valued and a part of the team. Then look at how you as a whole team are achieving highly. If you then agree as a team about collective future developments- and we all need these as things change and evolve constantly- then you are in a strong position to advise on individual future developments/targets in a way that seems supportive rather than threatening. To take formal action against a staff member is quite a step to take, especially when she has informed you that she believes you are asking more of her than she thinks you should. Even if she is wrong in this, there needs to be understanding of what are and are not her duties. Interacting with and engaging with the children, of course goes without question and if you have problems with any one in this then you may well have to take action as unpleasant as that may be for you.

You sound like a concerned and caring management so all the best.