Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minibeats

Hello Minibeasts next term and I am struggling with activities for the outdoor classroom. Obviously we will be doing a minibeast hunt but I am trying to think of creative,sand play etc!!! I would be grateful of any ideas please :o Thanks

Hi,

I love this theme! how about getting the children to dig holes in the digging are and insert plastic cups in the holes with some tasty treats for the insects - fruit mainly - cover them over with bits of grass or bark, think sticks and see whats in there in the morning! great fun

alisond

• 2 months later...

This is possibly a bit late but we're doing minbeasts now. we have made minbeast hotels. collect a variety of clear plasic bolles and cut off the top part so you have an open cylinder. Roll newspaper into small cylinders and stick the edges down with a mix of flour, water and sugar. Place the newspaper cylinders into the bottle until it is full the push into bushes/grass/ cracks in walls and wait for bugs to crawl in to get a taste of the sugary 'glue'. Great for PD, maths, K&U and the kids love going to check to see how many new residents they have.

Have a quick peek at Sparklebox. There may be some inspiration there.

www.sparklebox.co.uk

Printed loads of stuff off yesterday and laminated it for our outside area, including images of beasties to search for. A set of beasty cards with questions like how many legs....

Have fun!

Incidentally, has anyone noticed a distinct lack of ladybirds this year? I think I've only seen about 6 all year! Quite seriously, I'm a bit concerend & wonder if last year's awful summer affected their breeding?

Now you come to mention it, our nursery children are so keen to see ladybirds but no success here either! Wonder why?

Ladybirds are linked to the population of greenfly.A glut of greenfly and glut of ladybirds feeding on them.Ladybirds habinate under the bark of trees over Winter and its not been a harsh winter so there should have been 'breeding ' stock? But i've not seen many greenfly either so nothing for the lava to feed on? They won't turn to pupae and therefore ladybirds until they are fat enough so maybe they are still waiting for a consistant warm spell and fat juice greenfly?But waiting will make the lava prone to other animals eating them.The ladybird lava are often mistake for other things as they are not very attractive as young

go :o

ladybird life cycle

Found out today that they lay more infertile eggs proportionately when food is scarce, then the ones that hatch successfully still have a food source!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)