Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq3 C15.4

:o Hi everyone i am after some advice again,i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to teach strnger danger to the under fives. I would be very grateful for your help. Thank you sandra :)

Hi Sandra, this is something we've had trouble with for years. At the end of each session we talk about crossing the road safely and never talking to strangers i.e. people we dont know. We also talk about what to say if someone does something we dont like and use 'stop' and 'dont' with a hand held out. I've just bought a book and CD from the NSPCC which I'm hoping will give me more ideas on how to give the children a voice. It's called 'How to' and has some pretty graphic images (most of them too graphic for our age group) but hopefully I will be able to use some of them with the children. It's a very difficult area though. :o

It's not something I've done but I've read of other people using 'Little Red Riding Hood' as a starting point. You could act this out using puppets with the children and then speak to them about talking to strangers.

We have a pair of puppets that we use for things like this, Bonnie and Bobby are forever getting into trouble or have a problem to sort out. We ask chn. to say what they think might happen and how to solve a problem.

Lawrence Publication - "Storylines" is great for ideas.

I often take a puppet home and take photos of them in different situations!!!

Chn. love this and always remember the stories.

Good luck Magenta

:) Hi SandraM, we use storyboards, playacting, of 3 little pigs, Goldilocks and 3 bears, red riding hood, etc Rod, Jane and Freddy brought out a video called "Stranger Danger" which we all watch together explaining things as we go........ "Brum" "Bob the Builder" etc video's where children can identify with these character's, they are always into different things, helping friends, getting lost, some very good underlinning stories where these children can have some understanding and i think as long as the adults are watching with them to help them these can be a good 'tool', there are many good books on Amazon.com with Stranger Danger theme, looking after ourselves, child protection issues etc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)