Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

St Patricks Day

Monday is St Patricks Day and we have a few of the "little people" in our setting!

I would like to do something special but seem to have gone very blank and can only get as far as all "dressing up in Green!"

Does anyone have something alittle more exciting we could try please.

Guest MaryEMac

My first thought was Guinness but that's not a lot of help is it?

How about some Irish music, is there anyone Irish at your setting who could come in and tell some Irish folk tales?

I'm sure that other people will have some good ideas.

Mary

My first thought was Guinness but that's not a lot of help is it?

How about some Irish music, is there anyone Irish at your setting who could come in and tell some Irish folk tales?

I'm sure that other people will have some good ideas.

Mary

Guinness - Now there a thought!

St Patrick's day is being celebrated on 15th March this year as the actual day falls during holy week. Just a little bit of useless info for you there!! :o

Linda

St Patrick's day is being celebrated on 15th March this year as the actual day falls during holy week. Just a little bit of useless info for you there!! xD

Linda

Only the Irish! (and yes, I am qualified to say that! :o ).

Somewhere the other day I saw photographs of some school children celebrating St Patrick's day by doing some Irish dancing - perhaps there's a dance school who would be able to loan you some dresses. Simply bind the children's arms to their sides with sellotape and you're away...

Apart from Guinness, I'm thinking St Patrick and the snakes, definitely some Irish fiddle music (perhaps not any Dubliners' drinking songs though :( ), what about shamrock? And then there's the Irish flag and the Gaelic language, oh and Celtic knotwork. If you can get hold of some photos of the illustrations from the Book of Kells they are quite stunning. And bagpipes and kilts too (some say the Irish had them first and then the Scots knicked them but I'm not sure that can be proved one way or the other!!).

I know that a lot of the American websites have lots of activities for St Patrick's day - a lot based around leprechauns and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow which may (or may not) be what you're looking for.

Hmm. On Saint Patrick's day itself I'll be celebrating five years at my nursery. Blimey - where's the time gone?

Maz

Hi

This is my first time posting - I am a childminder and we are doing the following for St Patricks Day:

1. get them to trace around a shamrock and then glue on green things - we have made several versions using crepe paper and glitter, green herbs (basil, oregano etc) and finger painting. These will then be used to create a mobile!!

2. get them to draw a shamrock, then cut out shapes from green paper and stick on. This can be used to then make a card or put on display.

3. green gloop play using flour, water and green food colouring - I put the mixture onto a table with a number of objects i.e. shamrocks cut into potatoes, wooden sticks, spoons etc and they had great fun picking it up using their hands, drawing in it etc.

4. investigating green food - we chose a variety of green foods and looked at them, smelled them, tasted them, investigated if they had seeds etc. A chart can then be produced showing the findings!

5. we discussed the story around St. Patricks Day and why it is celebrated. A story board can then be done by the children or they can draw their favourite bit of the story.

6. We have also made a rainbow, pot of gold lacing cards which they will be using.

7. Also a few games downloaded from the internet shamrocks shape matching, rainbow letter recongnition cards etc.

Hope this gives you some ideas which may be of use.

Victoria

I've just been looking at the St. Patrick's Day celebrations on the internet. The 'day' seems to have been stretched into a whole week!

I remember going to the parade in Dublin when I was small and sitting on my dad's shoulders to see. It always rained and we had to wear these awful badges with a golden harp and a big clump of shamrock stuck in the middle. The 'day'was always celebrated on the 17th and there would probably have been uproar if it was changed to suit the masses. It was always a public holiday in Ireland and so could be celebrated any day of the week.

In pre-school we will be doing lots of little things (I'm the only Paddy' there!!), diddle-de-de music, lots of green coloured stuff as has been mentioned already. We are doing 'party time' in our home corner this week so will incorporate Paddy's day with that. Icing biscuits, with green icing of course, is also on the plan.

I think I will wait until the official day to send my best wishes to everyone (or have I just done that???!!!) :o

Hi Victoria, welcome to the forum and thanks for all the great ideas. It is good to have another childminder on the forum, particularly one as enthusiastic as you sound. :o

There has been a couple of past topics on this which can be found here and here. xD

Hi

This is my first time posting - I am a childminder and we are doing the following for St Patricks Day:

1. get them to trace around a shamrock and then glue on green things - we have made several versions using crepe paper and glitter, green herbs (basil, oregano etc) and finger painting. These will then be used to create a mobile!!

2. get them to draw a shamrock, then cut out shapes from green paper and stick on. This can be used to then make a card or put on display.

3. green gloop play using flour, water and green food colouring - I put the mixture onto a table with a number of objects i.e. shamrocks cut into potatoes, wooden sticks, spoons etc and they had great fun picking it up using their hands, drawing in it etc.

4. investigating green food - we chose a variety of green foods and looked at them, smelled them, tasted them, investigated if they had seeds etc. A chart can then be produced showing the findings!

5. we discussed the story around St. Patricks Day and why it is celebrated. A story board can then be done by the children or they can draw their favourite bit of the story.

6. We have also made a rainbow, pot of gold lacing cards which they will be using.

7. Also a few games downloaded from the internet shamrocks shape matching, rainbow letter recongnition cards etc.

Hope this gives you some ideas which may be of use.

Victoria

Thanks so much Victoria - i bet you're a great childminder.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)