Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Confused, And Want A Change

Does anyone here have any information about play therapy- its uses etc etc.

I want a break form teaching but don't want to give up chidlren altogether and am looking into play therapy as a new career alternative. Any ideas anyone?

Oh Leo, I can empathise with you feeling like that but am surprised as that isnt the message I've picked up from your posts.

I'm not alot of help in as much as I can't answer your how do I specifically but the play therapist who worked with us in school was part of the Behaviour Support team. She worked with the children in 2s or 3s for hour sessions, we put forward children we felt were in need of nuturing for some reason usually odd behaviour that caused us concern or even attention seeking. Often we were also aware that home backgrounds were not what we would have wished.

Good luck with your search.

Hi!!

I recently went on a tour around our local hospital's children's ward and do remember that the manager said their is a website that tells you where they award play therapy certificates.

As i recall, the lady said that the course took a year to complete and that usually they employed nursery nurses who went under the aforesaid training. Quite a few girls from the group i was in were very interested. Obviously there are many levels that you as a qualified teacher could go into.

The lady said usually the children on the ward would be encouraged, but only if they wanted to, to draw paint, re-enact scenes from distressing times or things that were worrying them through the use of puppets. Paintings, stimulation rooms (lights, materials, textures etc) are all used, their observations and evaluations of the children would be looked at by the doctors who would take them into account when assessing the child's progress.

Obviously this is a very rewarding and challenging career option but i don't think i've got what it takes to be a play therapist, but best of luck to you!!!!!!

For more info take a look at the pay scale for play therapy at nahps.org.uk. :oxD

Froebel College do a play therapy course and I understand it runs at the weekend so you can attend while still working - OK if you can get to South London but there must be courses around the country.

l

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm still looking into it. Don't wnat to give up teaching but owrried about stagnating in the same position. Must be depressed bec of all this report writing. But alomost done all mine

Hurray!