Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Malleable Play

Hi guys, sorry not posted for ages AGAIN. Should be grateful that I'm so busy! I'm writing an info booklet on malleable play and wondered if anybody had any photos of sand mousse. Usually Google images comes up trumps but not this time :o I've never done the activity myself and plan to have a go as soon as I can get hold of some sand!!

I'm quite excited as this is for an interactive workshop for parent/carers and the children and I'm making separate handouts for each activity as well as the info book. Could be brilliant but equally could be an unmitigated disaster!! We'll see. Once it's done, I'll be happy to share the info - no point re-inventing the wheel is there?

Sorry Kitty can't help but sounds like a fantastic idea, good luck, can't wait to see the end product. :o

Peggy

We've done sand mousse and I don't think a photo could really do it justice. On first appearance it looks just like ordinary damp sand. You can only really appreciate the mousse by sticking your hands in it!!!!!!!!

Hi

Sorry to sound ignorant but what exactly is sand mousse and how do you create it? Sounds like my class are missing out on the fun!

Vicki

This is something I have never heard of too. Do you mix it so it is sloppy and what exactly can you do with it?

I put washing up liquid in the sand tray until its all nice and squidgy, i have just mixed it with my hands then when you have enough of it you can just let the sand dry and it goes back to normal, I think use a nice washing up liquid because otherwise the sand can smell funny once it drys ha ha

Presumably you'd need to use a good quality washing up liquid - some of the cheaper own brand ones can be a little caustic for little hands.

What sort of consistency is it when its 'just right' and how do children play with it?

Maz

i forgot to say about how to play with it- sometimes its just nice on its own you can squidge it for ages!! but the children in our setting love to have cars and diggers with it

Oooh sounds lovely - I'm all for providing these experiences without props so that children can just enjoy the textures. Do you use the whisking method or the mixing with your hands method?

Maz

This sounds great I am going to try it out today. :o

I love playing with things like that as much as the children do, you should see me with gloop!!!!

Sal

How did I guess that you would reply first! Bless your heart, how are things? Did you sell up?

Yes Kitty, I closed at the end of December, really missing the children and especially the 'messy play' :o I'd never done sand mousse, so a new one on me, which proves the fact there is always something new to learn xD:( I shall have to give it a go with my children at home and get some pics done. :(

Peggy

Aw. Did nobody buy it in the end then?

I'd never heard of sand mousse either. I love it when I find a new thing to do... it does help to remind you that we never stop learning.

I've just remembered old fashioned paper mache too. Where you have all the paper nad paste in a bowl and squish it all together rather than layering strips. My mum used to make me flour and water glue!

Homebase or B&Q

Just be careful if they've stored it outdoors all year - it will be damp (and possibly a bit green!) as I've just found out. Somehow even a bag that looks intact has small holes in it which will let in the tiniest bit of moisture. Great for moulding but not so good in the sieves!

Maz

Just be careful if they've stored it outdoors all year - it will be damp (and possibly a bit green!) as I've just found out. Somehow even a bag that looks intact has small holes in it which will let in the tiniest bit of moisture. Great for moulding but not so good in the sieves!

Maz

Ugh!!

My colleague managed to get some for me but thanks for ideas.

The workshop seemed to be a success, feedback was good anyway! It took the 2 of us nearly 2 hours to clear up though!!!!!

We had a dough making table, cornflour gloop, jelly, soap-flake snowdough, sand mousse, shaving foam and spaghetti....

I rushed in with all the mucky trays and said to DH that I would do it so to leave them. Bless his heart he does sometimes do all my washing up from parties or sessions. I was going to a meeting in the evening so didn't want him to do it feeling resentful that I'd gone out and left it....

So...

Went into the kitchen this morning and stepped in a puddle - bit odd. What looked like the remains of a slug on the floor and some froth. Didn't know how but thought maybe some salt had been spilt and slug had wandered into it...

Then i opened the dishwasher......

LOL Bless his heart, he'd only put a coupl of bits in but it had to be the ones with soap in!!!

Made me chuckle!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)