Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Senses Activity Ideas

Hi everyone im all a bit new to this site but finsing it abolsutely fantastic!

I am working on some activity ideas for the class and wondered if anyone else had any ideas as I feel I have got to the point where I have now run out of ideas!

our topic this term is the Senses- in particular cretive activities.

Thank you in advance x\

You could do "smelly" paintings. We added fruit scented oil to the paints-it worked very well.

Linda

PS Welcome to the forum!

Welcome Carlybeno.

We love using food flavourings in the playdough. Everytime you squeeze it the smell comes out. Also putting food flavouring in the water tray is nice (as long as no-one drinks it!). Our nursery really enjoy the sensation of gloop, shaving foam and washing soda. These work well on the tuff spot.Even simply painting with hands and feet is really sensory. Hope these get you started,

Rosie

You could do "smelly" paintings. We added fruit scented oil to the paints-it worked very well.

Linda

PS Welcome to the forum!

My overly enthusiastic assistant did this and the smell of the paint lingered for weeks! A few drops go a long way! :o

I love textured paints using flour or sand. Also collage using a variety of different textured materials. xD

we have made blossom trees, collage of a tree, children get coton wool balls and put them in differernt smells like lemon juice, peppermint essence, coffee etc then stick them to the picture as blossom, we have then gone on to put these different smells into plastic cups, blind fold a child and ask them what it is.

We have drawn around our hands then attach to card so it lifts up, children have then wrote what we can do with our hands. we have a large box, children sit in a circle, the adult makes different sounds in the box - children guess what it is.

We have discussed different activities and how we can use our senses while doing the activity and which ones we are using.

We have done a collage with squares cut and and stuck on so the flap lifts up, then behind each flap we put something to do with each sense.... coffee granules for smell, sandpaper for touch etc......

we did smelly pictures using glue and curry powder and mixed herbs. Drizzle the glue onto paper and then shake the herbs etc over the top. We then branched into star anise, cinamon bark, cloves the list is endless.

Make shakers using different types of containers - plastic bottle, margerine tub, tissue box... and fillings - rice, sequins, glitter, marbles..

Play sound games such as give out a variety of instruments to the children and take turns to play them and talk about the different sounds they make. Then adult (or choose child to do it) plays one behind a screen or under blanket etc. Children try to recognise which instrument it is.

Sound lotto. Commercially bought or get children to help make one. Record sounds and take photos so maybe a motorbike, telephone ringing, hairdryer... then make up lotto boards from the pictures. if you're really good with technology you can re-record the sounds in different orders to fil the tape on both sides (tape! CD these days I guess!) so children can start from where last one left off and they also don't get used to the order!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)